BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That might make an interesting story, especially since the E39 M5 gets blasted by Mike Miller as being a real money pit. Hopefully Tom is reading this (or someone will tell him) and will get in touch with me if he'd like to discuss us doing a Roundel article.

Michael
Just sent a PM.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Michael,

It looks like you bought an F10 535i? The color combo sounds beautiful. 6spd manual with sport package? We bought an E32 7-series for my wife's daily way back in 1992, and it appears that the F10 is now the size of that car if not a bit larger even (actually the size of the long wheelbase version, 735iL) -- what do you think of dealing with the size of the car in everyday driving? You should have joined us at the M5 meetup.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Michael,

It looks like you bought an F10 535i?
Yes, it does appear that way. ;)

The color combo sounds beautiful. 6spd manual with sport package?
Thanks, yes it was a special order (as most six speeds need to be). Not a sport package because all that gets you is bigger wheels and a harsher ride as far as I'm concerned. I've had enough of those brutal BMW sport suspensions.

We bought an E32 7-series for my wife's daily way back in 1992, and it appears that the F10 is now the size of that car if not a bit larger even (actually the size of the long wheelbase version, 735iL) -- what do you think of dealing with the size of the car in everyday driving? You should have joined us at the M5 meetup.

Chuck
You know I would likely have joined you except for the fact that it was like 12 degrees Saturday, aside from the snow and all. Actually, I was ill so I wouldn't have gone even if I had known about it. Maybe next time someone will send me a PM?!?!?!?!? The only one of you guys that I've actually met IRL is Brian.

I just finished a "first impressions" article on the 5 for the Roundel. Less than half of what I send Satch actually gets printed, so I don't know if it will survive the editorial knife. I've not yet heard back from him on my idea for an article on Tom's car.

Anyway, yes, the wheelbase on the 5 is long, longer even than the (short version) E38 7 series. And you feel it too, as the ride is super comfy. And yes, the car is heavy. So compared to say the E39 M5 handling, this thing is a boat. Think Buick station wagon with the fake wood on the side. But compared to a Lexus, it's a taunt Ferrari. So it's all about perspective. For me, it's just about perfect. I like my comfort. The electric steering is disappointing, but the gas mileage is superb, the performance is more than adequate (heck, the 550 I believe has the same HP as your M5, though likely a bit less torque). These new turbo engines are really slick and have very little turbo lag. I'm not convinced of their longevity though, which is why I leased this car. I started having issues with my 335 (article in this month's Roundel) and was happy to see that one go.

I miss my M5 though, which is why I still lurk on this board a bit and peruse the classifieds. Because I want another one. I just haven't found the right car yet. My first one was such a cream puff that finding one that nice again will be difficult.

Michael

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I've not yet heard back from him on my idea for an article on Tom's car.
Driving Tom's M5 with 242,000 miles on it was amazing. The car feels like it has 42,000 on it (and looks that way too). Someone (i.e. Roundel?) should do a story on his car (original owner), and his experience over 242,000 miles in an E39 M5. I had forgotten just how well sorted a totally stock M5 is on the street. Nice car Tom and congrats on keeping looking almost showroom new for 11 years and all those miles.

Chuck
Um, hmmm, Ahem. :mad: :tonquesmilie:

I miss my M5 though, which is why I still lurk on this board a bit and peruse the classifieds. Because I want another one. I just haven't found the right car yet. My first one was such a cream puff that finding one that nice again will be difficult.
I think the car you were looking for sold at the RM auction earlier this year. 69 miles. Yeah, I know, it's silver, but finding a perfectly cared for 2002 M5 (board member BigGar has been attending to all those cars since they were new) with 69 miles isn't something likely to ever happen again. There is a board member here who bought the 2000 M5 at that auction, but I don't recall his membername.

Hence, another story idea. Amend your submission to Satch. Find that board member who purchased the 1900 mile M5 and combine his story and experience getting to relive buying a brand new E39 M5 11 years later with the experience of Tom who has been driving his 2000 M5 for 11 years. This is "your" revised Roundel story idea. :biggrin:

Wait, there's more. Contact the board member in Europe who purchased the xx miles Imola M5 from this same collection last year ($50k) and combine his story too.

Regards,

Chuck

EDIT: The 2003 Imola with xx miles was sold to board member Danish who's been a member here since Aug 2000. The 2000 M5 was sold to board member mfizzlee. Also, link to the RM Auction thread.

P.S. I'll PM you when we have another meet and point you to the thread (hopefully anyway, my memory isn't what it used to be). I know a couple of older guys like myself who are extreme enthusiasts and recently bought 2011 M3s, E90 and E92, who might be interested in attending also if that's ok with others in the group.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Um, hmmm, Ahem. :mad: :tonquesmilie:
Oops, sorry, my bad, what I meant to write was "I have not heard back from him on my proposal for an article on Tom's car". Sorry.

Hey, everyone, it was CHUCK'S IDEA!!!!!

I think the car you were looking for sold at the RM auction earlier this year. 69 miles.
I gave that car some serious thought. The link says that it sold for $48,400 but I thought it was $38K plus the buyer's premium. Either way, that's more than my budget allows. Rich men buy those cars, not us worker-bees.

Hence, another story idea. Amend your submission to Satch. Find that board member who purchased the 1900 mile M5 and combine his story and experience getting to relive buying a brand new E39 M5 11 years later with the experience of Tom who has been driving his 2000 M5 for 11 years. This is "your" revised Roundel story idea. :biggrin:

Wait, there's more. Contact the board member in Europe who purchased the xx miles Imola M5 from this same collection last year ($50k) and combine his story too.
Those are good ideas. I shall revise my, er, your, um, our story proposal. ;)

Michael

·
Registered
227 Posts
Absolutely!

We should use the momentum of our great meet-up as encouragement to do this much more often, and inviting others to join us would only add to the fun.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
No good for me, got too much to do this weekend, but let's shoot for early to mid January perhaps?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Me, Neither

Yeah, this weekend is not good for me, either - in fact, I'm in Arizona right now, and don't get back until Sunday evening. With all the holiday stuff, I agree that early January would probably be more realistic; although, having said that, I'm going to shoot for Panera Bread next Saturday AM (18th), and would be happy to anyone, or everyone, join in.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Just ran across another local E39 M5 a few minutes ago on Creedmoor Rd and I-540; an Imola with Caramel interior, appeared stock outwardly excepting a black kidney grill. I was in the E90 and invisible. :) This wasn't EaglEye.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Would be curious to know just how many E39 M5's there actually are in our area. I know of 2 others that didn't come to our meet-up... a Sterling Gray '00 model and a Silver '03.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just ran across another local E39 M5 a few minutes ago on Creedmoor Rd and I-540; an Imola with Caramel interior, appeared stock outwardly excepting a black kidney grill. I was in the E90 and invisible. :) This wasn't EaglEye.
:2: Indeed.
There's another Imola M I've seen on State's Centennial campus driven by a gentleman who appears to work in one of the Venture buildings, but that's the only other red one I've seen around. It never fails that on the rare occasion I see another Beast of any variety I'm in a much more...humble?...car. I just had my four-year anniversary with the E39 earlier this month and the only other time I've met another M5 on the road was at a meet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can't believe I missed this meet. We could have had one more LMB. I knew we had a bunch of these in Raleigh, but no idea we had this many.

Brian

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It never fails that on the rare occasion I see another Beast of any variety I'm in a much more...humble?...car.
Hey, that happens to me ALL the time. Strange how that works.

I'm in Raleigh, just moved back here after 5+ years in Jersey.
2002 Carbon Black in Five Points area
Welcome back, and hope to see you at our next gathering. Boy, with the numbers we're starting to see, we may need a larger meeting location or at least a night-before call to Panera to let them know we are bringing a huge crew. Maybe they can offer us a discount or free coffees for bringing in so much business.

Can't believe I missed this meet. We could have had one more LMB. I knew we had a bunch of these in Raleigh, but no idea we had this many.

Brian
Whoa....wait a minute here. I think someone has broken a rule here, but I'm not sure if it's me or you. We can't have two Brians driving two LMB M5 here. That just isn't right. Please tell me your interior is black, at least, or that you've had your car for less than 7 years!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Brian,

Actually that would be 3 LMB M5s all owned by gentlemen named Bri/Bryan. Oh and dont forget Ryan with the other LMB. Hey at least me and Tom have different names...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, glad to see some fellow owners in the Raleigh area ... I just picked up a 2000 M5 from Virginia yesterday ... LeMans Blue with Silverstone. 42K miles. When's the next meeting?

41 - 60 of 284 Posts