BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I had a problem with my rain sensor (Model SW 1.3)...one of the usual ones: wipers resorted to normal intermittent mode and didn't change with rain. So after much searching here I went and sorted myself a secondhand sensor (Model SW 1.4).

With this easily installed I now get a different, but still faulty, behaviour. Now the wiper just runs constantly regardless of intermittent setting/rain etc.

So now I'm not sure where I am. Is the secondhand sensor faulty? Is the problem further down the line? Could a dodgy relay be causing this?

Any info/tips/guesswork would be appreciated. Car is '00 beast (European) by the way and rain sensing wipers did work fine until recently.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also...

just noticed on the front of the sensor box (the side in contact with the windshield) there's what looks like a small red LED (on the bottom right when viewed through the windscreen). Is this meant to be on if the sensor is powered?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I seem to recall there may be a calibration procedure.

Did you search?

:)

Either in the owners manual, or a BMW diagnostic procedure....

A

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just got mine working again yesterday! New OE windshield installed, no auto wipers. I took my car to the dealer (my body shop bought it from local dealer) and they reprogrammed it for free, it works again!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Windshield isn't tinted and is the original as far as I know. Even if it isn't, the rain sensor worked fine for the first 6 months I had the car so I reckon the windshield itself is ok.

Did the normal procedure in teh owners manual for turning on the auto wipers (ignition to one, turn wipers to intermittent setting, etc). Is there a further procedure I have to go through when the sensor is replaced? I'll search further.

Any details on the little red LED on the glass side of the sensor? Is it on when the wipers are on? Want to make sure that there is power getting to the sensor.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The little led is not really an led. Light Emitting Diode...these are actually sensors that look like LED's. At least that's my take since my rain sensor works and there is no light coming out of any part of my unit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just a note to the resolution of this.
After trying in vain for a while to get the sensor working again I brought it up to my indy to check out. Thought maybe it needed a computer reset or something. Anyway, when they checked it, it started working, just randomly. So I'm actually not sure how it reset in the end but it's working.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
There is a procedure to calibrate how sensitive the rain sensor should be set.
Procedure is only possible with DIS,IIRC...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, by the sound of it I'm going to have to get it looked at by a dealer. The problem I'm having isn't so much that it seems incorrectly calibrated though - it seems to switch back to fixed speed after a while and the dial on the front has absolutely no effect whatsoever. The wipers are just stuck on the normal slow speed. Very annoying as it's like no intermittent wiper at all. I even drove into a tunnel and the wipers just kept going at the same speed.

Interestingly, cycling the ignition seems to cure it immediately.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I know at least US cars need to be like activated everytime you turn the car on. From my understanding, earlier E39s with the feature would move the wipers once across at startup and this annoyed some customers, so instead of retaining the feature, you need to do something like move the wiper stalk into a certain position.

Living in AZ I never learned the procedure (the two times a year it rains here I am not in my car :) ) but think that may relate to some of the problems in this regard.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
just a note to the resolution of this.
After trying in vain for a while to get the sensor working again I brought it up to my indy to check out. Thought maybe it needed a computer reset or something. Anyway, when they checked it, it started working, just randomly. So I'm actually not sure how it reset in the end but it's working.
Sounds like you need to join the INPA UK Group Buy..... :M5thumbs: At least you could have checked if the module was correctly installed, and confirmed if it had reported any errors.... including loose connections. :biggrin:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/154949-inpa-uk-group-buy.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts