BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smelling a funny oder in the past few days, and found about 0.5" of water, soaking the mat and the carpet underneath.
it in only in the rear right side, in the footwell (well is a good name right now). The rest of the car is dry.

I suspect the right rear door, but I have no idea where are the drainage holes for the door.

Any one knows where would rain come in to the car?

Thanks!

Arie

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all!

Yes it is most likely the vapor liner.. it started raining again and I actually saw where the water is coming from, and it is consistent with all the photos I saw here. it is the liner.
for now, I'm going to put a big plastic bag in the footwell, and drape it so it will catch all the water, instead of soaking up the carpet..

I think I'm going to attempt to fix it myself.

Thanks again,
Arie.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Totally unsolicited advice here but, get that water out of the car ASAP. You dont want mold to grow in your carpet or padding. Once it does its nearly impossible to get out.

In conjunction with this, get this fixed sooner rather than later for the reason I mentioned above. Ive read horror stories of people trying to get that mold/must smell out of their cars and it just never quite goes away.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Yes it is most likely the vapor liner.. it started raining again and I actually saw where the water is coming from, and it is consistent with all the photos I saw here. it is the liner.
for now, I'm going to put a big plastic bag in the footwell, and drape it so it will catch all the water, instead of soaking up the carpet..

I think I'm going to attempt to fix it myself.

Thanks again,
Arie.
Absolutely pointless to put a bag in the back - in fact, it will make the problem worse.

If you'll note, the water comes out under the inner seal and runs down the inside of the door card (the piece covered with leather). Once it hits the bottom, it doesn't drip onto the floor, it runs right down the side of the footwell behind the carpet. this means that there is no solution to keep the footwell dry except to prevent the leak in the first place. Putting a plastic bag will simply prevent the water that does get in from evaporating and will form mold.

Keep the car dry or fix the problem - there is no 3rd choice...

d-

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
"He who hesitates is lost."

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely pointless to put a bag in the back - in fact, it will make the problem worse.

If you'll note, the water comes out under the inner seal and runs down the inside of the door card (the piece covered with leather). Once it hits the bottom, it doesn't drip onto the floor, it runs right down the side of the footwell behind the carpet. this means that there is no solution to keep the footwell dry except to prevent the leak in the first place. Putting a plastic bag will simply prevent the water that does get in from evaporating and will form mold.

Keep the car dry or fix the problem - there is no 3rd choice...

d-
Yes, the bag is there just over night, so I don't get any more water leaking in. I draped the bag over the door sill and over the well. during teh day if it doesn't rain I have a small space heater in the foorwell, heating it up and drying. it is getting better already..
As I said Im considering fixing it myself. the only thing I am apprehensive about it pulling off the door cover (the leather, handle part). how does it come off? Also, I have sun shades built in the window, does it complicate things?

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Yes, the bag is there just over night, so I don't get any more water leaking in. I draped the bag over the door sill and over the well. during teh day if it doesn't rain I have a small space heater in the foorwell, heating it up and drying. it is getting better already..
As I said Im considering fixing it myself. the only thing I am apprehensive about it pulling off the door cover (the leather, handle part). how does it come off? Also, I have sun shades built in the window, does it complicate things?
Putting it over the door sill will prevent water from going to the footwell, but will cause it to back up into the door panel itself. I'd rather have wet carpet than wet leather.

Nevertheless, pulling off the door panel is easy. Remove the screw behind the door handle (there is a black plastic cover over it) and then pull straight up on the door pull. The whole panel should come right off. There may be some changes for the sun shades, but I don't know since I don't have them. Search is your friend...

d-

·
Registered
146 Posts
Anyone else wonder why a moderator didn't use search? I'm not trying to knock Arie by any means. I only say this because noobs ask questions like this and get roasted for not using search, yet a moderator is allowed to get away with it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone else wonder why a moderator didn't use search? I'm not trying to knock Arie by any means. I only say this because noobs ask questions like this and get roasted for not using search, yet a moderator is allowed to get away with it?
Valid points but you are just asking for a flame war. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
+1 ....and was wondering how one could manage to have 1,400+ posts.....and never been thankedouich....anything's possible!
Cheers,
E

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1 ....and was wondering how one could manage to have 1,400+ posts.....and never been thankedouich....anything's possible!
Cheers,
E

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Never been thanked? I would guess that %99.5 of my posts were posted before the "Thanks" feature existed.
Since I joined this board (10 years ago), it has changed its name at least once, it has been migrated platforms and technologies more times that I can count.
That is why I was never "Thanked". but if you would run a search on my ID, you'd see my contribution to this board over the years. ouich

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Never been thanked? I would guess that %99.5 of my posts were posted before the "Thanks" feature existed.
Since I joined this board (10 years ago), it has changed its name at least once, it has been migrated platforms and technologies more times that I can count.
That is why I was never "Thanked". but if you would run a search on my ID, you'd see my contribution to this board over the years. ouich

LOL I spose that was before the search button was installed too?

HAHAHA!!!

Im kidding bro, you MUST realize you opened yourself up to some of this.

Hope the link I posted helped.

:cheers:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I did search your ID...that's how I knew you had a ton of posts......and also figured the "thanks" feature was new at some point....just like iTrader feedback is something new.....just bustin' your ***z man :hihi:
Cheers,
E

1 - 18 of 18 Posts