BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be looking in the Jan bargins to replace the stock blaupunkt headunit and 10 cd changer with something a bit more modern.

I'd really like a Alpine unit with the monitor that comes out, however I'm not sure if there is enough space for the screen to extend before poping up, between the dash and steering wheel??

Has anyone got one of these fitted and will a modern headunit give me a better radio signal, as currently I can only get R1, R3, Chiltern & JazzFM??

I've seen a booster on ebay and was thinking about getting it, but I'm not sure if they are any good??

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Steve - I'm not sure about the shape of your dash, but on an RHD car there's not enough room for some screens because of the instrument binnacle and the foglamp switch. The screen can pop up, but not quite reach a vertical position - so it's hard to use.

That was certainly the case with an Alpine and a Clarion nav monitor I tried.

For the radio, there are two aerial amplifiers behind the 'C' Pillar trim. I think one of mine is faulty - when I switch the rear demister on, I can't get any radio reception.

Possibly one/both of these, or your head unit has a fault - but the standard radio signal should be good enough if all of the components are working.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Steve - if we can ascertain that it's compatible, I might be interested in taking your Blaupunkt CD changer off you for a few quid................

My head unit is a Bremen SQR 49.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob Plummer said:
Steve - if we can ascertain that it's compatible, I might be interested in taking your Blaupunkt CD changer off you for a few quid................

My head unit is a Bremen SQR 49.
Rob, I'm keeping all the standard bits, so i can return them to the car when I sell it.. If I were you, I'd look at getting a link cable for the iPods. I have one in another car and they a brilliant. Forget 10 cds, my iPod has nearly 2000 songs on it!!!

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts