BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sorry to dig up (super) old threads but I found this thread after searching around.

My radio worked fine at lunch time around noon. Fast forward to afternoon getting off work, I start up my car and the orange radio light just went off. Same symptoms such as left side buttons not working. I do not have M-Audio or the DSP button. Going to go check on the connections in a few after a bit more research, and maybe a battery disconnect/reset if it comes down to it.

Ugh what a Friday!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Sorry to dig up (super) old threads but I found this thread after searching around.

My radio worked fine at lunch time around noon. Fast forward to afternoon getting off work, I start up my car and the orange radio light just went off. Same symptoms such as left side buttons not working. I do not have M-Audio or the DSP button. Going to go check on the connections in a few after a bit more research, and maybe a battery disconnect/reset if it comes down to it.

Ugh what a Friday!
If DSP doesn't show in your menu then you lost your amplifier connection. Could be a bad connection, could be a dead amp. One way or the other, you'll need to get the amp to turn back on. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery often works. Just be sure to let the nav system completely spool down before you disconnect the battery.

d-

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Bringing up an old thread here, but ive been experiencing audio issues for a few weeks now.

Initially, there was no sound, but the power light was lit on above the power knob/button. Remained like this for a week then the light turned off. NAV visual still works, but no audio for NAV or Radio/CD. I planned to take a look at things as time allowed, but a few weeks went by. Then while driving, audio suddenly returned, ruling out a blown fuse. But only 5 mins later, it went silent again, and has remained so since.

I guess I need to consider the AMP damaged since fuse hunting probably wont do me any good?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I cant tell you what the batt voltage is at the moment from work, but I did replace the battery a month ago before all this started.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, DBaker is still dropping mad assistance? Props to Dougie.

As mentioned, probably the radio (BM53) or the amp needs to be replaced, likely the radio.

My system went silent like yours again several years ago, maybe a decade. For the second time, as I'm the OP here. I had been driving sans sounds for another several years now, almost another decade, and just recently finally got it working again. After replacing the amp without success and another few years, I decided to replace that new (back then) radio, could it be it broke again?

It was and it did. Replaced the navi screen and the system is new again for the next 10 years.

Doug, is that your M5 that's up for auction at BYT, big balls, no reserve? End of an era?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Well, as of this morning the radio/CD starting working sporadically, but my blinkers stopped working as well. Dont know if its related, but seems to be some electrical niggle of some sort :(

The CD would play for 5 secs, then go out. Come back on 20 secs later and go out again. These oddities seem to occur after washing the car with water. Could be coincidence, but its an observation ive made that when ive washed with water (as opposed to waterless car wash system) these strange things started to happen.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well, as of this morning the radio/CD starting working sporadically, but my blinkers stopped working as well. Dont know if its related, but seems to be some electrical niggle of some sort :(

The CD would play for 5 secs, then go out. Come back on 20 secs later and go out again. These oddities seem to occur after washing the car with water. Could be coincidence, but its an observation ive made that when ive washed with water (as opposed to waterless car wash system) these strange things started to happen.
The tail light gaskets leak and wet the electronic components behind them. I lost a radio that way.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Good to know. Would resealing it with butyl rubber or something like this be a good idea? Ive dealt with leaky tail lights a few times and have also replaced them a small handful of times. I just dont know if using something outside the factory seals will help. Butyl can be a tight seal but a but messy when removing. But in this case, would only be an issue if/when replacing the assemblies down the road.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The gasket is a flat closed-cell foam piece that seals the back of the tail light against the tail light bucket in the body. I'd guess it's available separately or just cut a new piece out of stock material. Using butyl rubber in its place would not be advisable and would likely not work.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The gasket is a flat closed-cell foam piece that seals the back of the tail light against the tail light bucket in the body. I'd guess it's available separately or just cut a new piece out of stock material. Using butyl rubber in its place would not be advisable and would likely not work.
That’s the route I took for a similar reason. I was trying to stop exhaust gas from being sucked into the trunk(cabin), so purchased some thicker than OE, adhesive backed foam, and made my own.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That’s the route I took for a similar reason. I was trying to stop exhaust gas from being sucked into the trunk(cabin), so purchased some thicker than OE, adhesive backed foam, and made my own.

View attachment 931320

View attachment 931321
That's what I'm talking about! They get compressed over the years and I find they don't really survive repeat tail light removal and reinstallation very well because the tail lights and gasket rarely go back exactly where they came from. That means gaps and leakage due to the compressed gasket not filling the gaps. Replacement is on my long list of things to do.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
are you sure you have bm53 not bm24 on your age? you can easily fix the 24 as mentioned above - if you have the round pins you could easily swap one in too...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Looks like my CD Changer is dead. Ordered the Grom BT3 unit and the DSP adapter. Dont know if the radio unit is going out (I suspect it is) but it came back on this morning working fine. I'll replace it if it continues to come in and out after the Grom install.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts