BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what my problem could be. I have had no tunes for a month or so. I am enjoying the engine sounds though. I have not pulled my stereo to see if there is a fuse in the back yet.
The stereo was in the car when I purchased. This is how it is set up. Fuse is good..... 1409862376722.jpg

Is there a way to test the BMW Business thingymajig? Or amp?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does the on/off knob click when you press it? Does the orange power light come on? My on/off knob failed and I replaced it with a new one. It is an orbital switch (on/off + volume). There is a post somewhere in here from a guy who posted the part # from an electronics website, but this was about 4 years ago. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does the on/off knob click when you press it? Does the orange power light come on? My on/off knob failed and I replaced it with a new one. It is an orbital switch (on/off + volume). There is a post somewhere in here from a guy who posted the part # from an electronics website, but this was about 4 years ago. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your response. I press the power button on my head unit and no go for power. I still need to see if there is a fuse in the back of the Head unit like my trucks head unit. The original unit in the trunk works just fine. The knob are missing nut I can do without that. The power is fine at the original unit. I believe it is all still in there to utilize the aftermarket stereo with the DSP. How they did it, I don't know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you spliced any wires? I had an issue when the previous owner installed a DICE controller using in-line splicers. The splice job wasn't done well, and kept causing my radio to power off when I hit a bump. Really aggravated me, so I ended up soldering the offending splices and doing away with the in-lines.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i have not spliced any wires but I will have to check that also. Hopefully my vacation will be approved for the next couple of weeks and I will dig into it. Thanks for the possible cause.

·
Registered
52 Posts
NP, good luck!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet. I won't get a chance until next week. Until then I will enjoy the sound of the Hayward and Scott sound system. LOL.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The key to determining if it is just a faulty power knob is whether or not the knob 'clicks' when pressed. Does yours? There is no fuse in the back of the original head unit.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The key to determining if it is just a faulty power knob is whether or not the knob 'clicks' when pressed. Does yours? There is no fuse in the back of the original head unit.
The original head unit seems to work fine. I am going to check for a fuse in the aftermarket one in the dash. (Kenwood)

I can rotate and push the buttons on the original radio in the trunk. I will update with I find.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just an update. Pulled stereo and there is no fuse in the back of it. All fuses are good in glove box and trunk. Looks like the actual stereo went kaput.

Is there a fuse on the amp?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I checked my fuses and was trying figure out how to troubleshoot the system. I wound up simply using a pen and pressing the reset button on the front and it powered on. Yeeehaw thanks for all advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts