BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much checking and testing I've found out that the problem with my radio reception (AM and FM but most noticeably AM), is due to the tint on my glass.

I don't know how the tint was done, if it's a BMW process or not, but it looks fantastic - it matches my jet black paint, so I love the tint. I guess I'll just have to live with the lousy AM reception.

Hope this helps anyone else trying to solve the problem.

Cheers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How did you test that, remove the tint??? You must have metallic tint if it was causing the problem. Dye and ceramic tints don't cause reception problems (even though the dealer will try to always blame the tint for poor reception). My dealer tried that with me until I told them it was the "cheap" dye film and the not the more common metallic film (I had metallic on my E36 M3 and won't be doing that again on a car with the antenna inside the glass). They still haven't fixed any of the three radio problems (reception, eq not holding memory, and lock ups) I have but they only tried once so far.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lincoln said:
How did you test that, remove the tint??? You must have metallic tint if it was causing the problem. <snip>
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Although I didn't do anything to absolutely confim the cause, all antenna connections were checked and found to be good. This was done twice. I have no reason to doubt my dealer who has always done excellent work and never tried to avoid any repairs under warranty (like doing a great job of refinishing my rims - including saying if I wasn't happy with the result they would go to bat for me to have my rims replaced).

At this point I decided that there is nothing more I want to do to try and get the reception any better. Quite honestly, I can live with it and besides, when I'm driving the Beast I'm not that focused on the radio.

Like the topic of this thread, I've resolved the issue, not actually fixed it.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
Tom
See if you can get some antenna amplifiers that go inline with the antenna lead, effectively "boosting" the signal the radio receives. Radio Shack prob carries these and for the minor investment, you don't have much to lose. Or take it to a high end stereo shop and see if they have a better way of handling it.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bad idea on the amplifiers. BMW's uses a diversity system (it's not a true diversity system, but more of a kluge) on these glass antennas and they already have amplifiers. You really don't want to add amps inline with other amps. The real solution is to add a mast antenna on the rear fender but they would be a heinous crime to drill a hole in your M5. There really is no good way to improve reception on these cars due to the poor design of the antenna system.

gsfent said:
Tom
See if you can get some antenna amplifiers that go inline with the antenna lead, effectively "boosting" the signal the radio receives. Radio Shack prob carries these and for the minor investment, you don't have much to lose. Or take it to a high end stereo shop and see if they have a better way of handling it.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I've just noticed a 2 TSB's relating to this problem, but I don't know how to get the specifics. I went to ALLDATA and got a list of them, but not the details. I don't feel like paying $24 just to look at something that I feel should be available.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I asked about the TSB on the radio when I picked my car up and found out they only did software flash instead of replacing with the updated HU and my SA told me that my car was not included in the TSB (10/01 build).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts