BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some odd radio problems - wonder if anyone else has had something similar.

The FM radio, which sounds OK in normal circumstances, periodically loses high frequency content, collapses to mono, and sounds like a loud version of the AM radio on my old Chevy. Actually, it sounds a lot like it's own AM reception.

This last for a few seconds, then everything comes back to normal. It happens every few minutes. It sounds like what happens when a signal gets weak and out of range, but it happens in view of the tower, and continues the same symptoms all the way out to 60 miles from the tower.

I've never had a problem with CD, so I don't think it's an amp problem. My first thought was the antennae, but my local shop hooked up the diagnostics and the signal pinned the meter sitting in his shop.

I'm going to see if we can drive around with the diagnostic connected to see if the signal dips when the sound goes out. I figure it has to be the antennae or the radio module.

Anyone ever experience this?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
there is a TSB somewhere in the board about the faulty radio with FM fade out/in, recommendation was a replacement radio.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
you must refer to it as stereo to mono, in any discussions with your SA, to have any chance of a freebie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about that on the way home - is this SB an admission of a defective design and a free replacement, or just a notice of how to fix when the problem appears, to be paid for? I'm well past warranty time.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
play your cards right and it might be up to the discretion of your SA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, looks like I get to pay for it and the part number on the bulletin isn't made any more.

$450+ for a "reman" unit. Anyone know if these are re-manufactured by the factory or would this be an external party. Should I be worried that a new unit would have the software of the old unit?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, now I'm officially annoyed.

I called the dealer who took care of my old E36 and got the $450 price. I was in the room when my independent called the dealer where he gets his part - he tells me it's $670".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, who knows what the proper replacement part is?

I went back to my shop after putting this off for a few months. I thought the part number was 65 12 6 988 275/6. I've seen that posted a couple of times, and that's was bimmernav.com has as the replacement part.

The first time, my SA told me they were ordering part 65 62 7 915 518 - $750. I looked this up, and it's a radio housing that goes in the dash. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have updated software in it, so asked the SA to check again.

Now he comes back with 65 12 6 902 718 - $720. I see this listed as a "BMW Radio", but has From/To dates of 1999-2001 on realoem.com's parts list. The same part, ending in 719, is listed as a reman and is noted as ENDED.

My 276 part number is still listed on the same page as the only "BMW Business Radio" not marked as "ended". My SA assures me that the SM has this as the right part (I didn't ask if this was the same SM that said the 518 was the right part...)

So off course, they ordered the 718 part, but by the time they found the mistake, it was too late for tomorrow. So they'll havea housing unit in tomorrow, which is useless, and some sort of radio in the day after I need to pick the car up. Arrghhh.

Anyone know exactly what I need? I feel like just ordering it from bimmernav and installing it myself.

(btw, $95 to hook up the equipment to tell me it needs a right-bank, pre-cat O2 sensor. When I dropped it off, I told them the SES light was on and it needed a right-bank pre-cat O2 sensor).

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
OK, who knows what the proper replacement part is?

I went back to my shop after putting this off for a few months. I thought the part number was 65 12 6 988 275/6. I've seen that posted a couple of times, and that's was bimmernav.com has as the replacement part.

The first time, my SA told me they were ordering part 65 62 7 915 518 - $750. I looked this up, and it's a radio housing that goes in the dash. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have updated software in it, so asked the SA to check again.

Now he comes back with 65 12 6 902 718 - $720. I see this listed as a "BMW Radio", but has From/To dates of 1999-2001 on realoem.com's parts list. The same part, ending in 719, is listed as a reman and is noted as ENDED.

My 276 part number is still listed on the same page as the only "BMW Business Radio" not marked as "ended". My SA assures me that the SM has this as the right part (I didn't ask if this was the same SM that said the 518 was the right part...)

So off course, they ordered the 718 part, but by the time they found the mistake, it was too late for tomorrow. So they'll havea housing unit in tomorrow, which is useless, and some sort of radio in the day after I need to pick the car up. Arrghhh.

Anyone know exactly what I need? I feel like just ordering it from bimmernav and installing it myself.

(btw, $95 to hook up the equipment to tell me it needs a right-bank, pre-cat O2 sensor. When I dropped it off, I told them the SES light was on and it needed a right-bank pre-cat O2 sensor).

If it is on your nickel, I don't know why you wouldn't order it from bimmernav.

But if you are talking about the radio, the newest radio supports sirius (with a Mk IV Nav), I think maybe has a code of BM53 or higher.

Do a search for sirius, and I think you can find the info there or do a similar search on the bimmernav website.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the source - for the same part number, the dealer was actually
$30 cheaper (plus shipping savings) after my CCA discount, and $47 for installation - so an extra $17 to just drop my car at the airport parking lot and pick it up when I get back, all fixed, is worth it.

The radios are all BM53, but there are at least 20 BMW part numbers for the BM53 radio over the years, including the 275, and 276 parts listed above, but not the 718. I don't really want a replacement that's not the latest version, which may still have the same software problem.

From the info below, 275/6 (276 is the reman) sure seems to be the latest

BM53 part number history - newest to oldest, all 65 12...

6 988 275/6
6 976 961/2 MP3 audio-text start
6 972 665
6 972 662
6 964 398/9
6 943 449/50
6 927 910/1 Possible Sirius start

6 933 089/90
6 922 512/3
6 919 080/1 No AUX support yet...
6 904 213/4 BM53 Start

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
I'm afraid that what you are asking isn't a part number question but a part number revision question. These, sadly, are pretty difficult to track and nothing I've seen in any of many travels, especially as it relates to radios.

I would suspect that any remanufactured unit would have the latest hardware / firmware installed during the reman process. But, if you are really concerned about it then shop by date - there is sticker right on the unit. Make sure you get one that is 2004+ and there won't be any question.

d-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts