BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio in my '00 will not turn on. The orange light next to the volume button push button does not illuminate when actuating the button. The car is completely stock, no mods whatsoever.

So far I have done the following, in addition to spending a couple hours on here making use of the search function:

The radio fuses in the glovebox have been checked and all were good.

All connections in the trunk to the amp and silver radio box on the left side are secure.

I originally was going down the path that the battery was in need of replacement. I took the battery to the shop where I bought it and left it for a couple hours. It was down at 12.0 volts when I dropped it off. After a morning on their charger and several tests they said the battery was good to go. I got the battery home and put it on my charger for four hours, not really sure why but I wanted to make sure it was charged.

The newly charged battery sits at 12.6 volts when the car is asleep (doors closed, trunk lights out, sampling fan stopped). The radio will still not turn on. My next thought is that the radio module itself is shot. Would you guys agree that is a logical next step?
The car was recently repainted and did have the taillights out. I made sure they taped up the holes while the work was being done, where the taillights sit, to keep debris / water out. Anything is possible though, maybe the module had some water damage? Or maybe after 14 years it decided it had enough.

If anyone has some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

simon

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I will try recycling the amp, thanks, hadn't done that directly, the battery has been connected and disconnected a dozen times today!
The NAV display does work and the NAV will compute a route, there is no audio instruction though.

Is there a way to 'test' the radio module?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If the nav generated voice isnt working, why do you suspect the radio module?

I always thought the four audio sources are fed to the amp separately: nav voice, PDC tones, radio, CD

Its been a long time since I looked...do you have a schematic?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The navigation audio is output to the radio module. Have you checked the fuse in the radio module?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadn't checked the fuse on the radio box, didn't know it was there.
Will check that today. THANKS.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If it turns out to be the radio module, I have a used C43 for sale. PM if interested.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I pulled the radio module out and verified the fuse is good. The connector shows a little bit of corrosion, see the pics below, is that anything to be concerned with? Pin 9 is where the corrosion was worst. I put my meter on pins 9 & 15 while they were still dirty and verified there was 12 volts. It piqued my interest though that is was down to 12.3 volts, the battery showed 12.3 volts as well. When I went to bed last night it was at 12.5 volts. Is that much of a drop normal over 10 hours? I don't think so? I am not convinced the battery is in good shape. I put a clamp on meter on the ground while the car was going to sleep and with the nav running it showed the car was using 1.48 amps which then dropped to 0.35 amps with the nav quiet and trunk lights out, that isn't excessive draw is it? Maybe I have a battery problem and not a radio module problem, although the guy at Batteries Plus swears the battery is good to go.
What would you guys try next? Have a new battery put in just to see what happens? Borrow a radio module and see if that verifies it is the box that is messed up?

Thanks so much for all the help with this. The last couple months have been great fun 'rebuilding' the car after a paint job. There is no way that I could have done it without this board. I hope one day to know as much stuff as you guys have forgotten, the amount of knowledge here is amazing.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Try cleaning the connector terminals with electro-contact cleaner and a swab. Also, check the taillight gasket for leaks (this is a common cause for radio faults).

After cleaning the terminals check if the fault has been corrected. If not...

Put the car on a high output charger (10 amp) and check the radio again. If the issue persists, look into borrowing a different radio module.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Question: WIll the audio work WITHOUT the radio module attached??

I think it will, you should get nav instructions. IF it should work, but doesnt, wouldnt this rule out the radio module???

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the navigation audio will not function without the radio.

A112 Navigation control module

Connector overview

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1> <COLGROUP> <COL width=70> <COL width=70> <COL width=311></COLGROUP> <TBODY> <TR> <TH>Number</TH> <TH>X-pin, color</TH> <TH>Description</TH></TR> <TR> <TD>X1312</TD> <TD>18-pin, yellow</TD> <TD>Connector Navigation control module</TD></TR> <TR> <TD>X1313</TD> <TD>18-pin, blue</TD> <TD>Connector Navigation control module</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Pin assignments at connector X1312

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1> <COLGROUP> <COL width=34> <COL width=34> <COL width=187> <COL width=198></COLGROUP> <TBODY> <TR> <TH>Pin</TH> <TH>Type</TH> <TH>Description / Signal type</TH> <TH>Connection /
Measuring notes</TH></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>1</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Back-up light signal</TD> <TD>Light module</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>2</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>3</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Terminal R</TD> <TD>Unloader relay, terminal R</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>4</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>5</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>6</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>7</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>8</TD> <TD>E/A</TD> <TD>Communication line data link TXD</TD> <TD>GPS receiver</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>9</TD> <TD>E/A</TD> <TD>Communication line data link RXD</TD> <TD>GPS receiver</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>10</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Left wheel speed signal</TD> <TD>Connector, front left speed sensor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>11</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Right wheel speed signal</TD> <TD>Connector, front right speed sensor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>12</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>13</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>14</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>15</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>16</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Pulse per second</TD> <TD>GPS receiver</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>17</TD> <TD>E/A</TD> <TD>Communication line data link TXDN</TD> <TD>GPS receiver</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>18</TD> <TD>E/A</TD> <TD>Communication line data link RXDN</TD> <TD>GPS receiver</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Pin assignments at connector X1313

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=1> <COLGROUP> <COL width=34> <COL width=34> <COL width=187> <COL width=198></COLGROUP> <TBODY> <TR> <TH>Pin</TH> <TH>Type</TH> <TH>Description / Signal type</TH> <TH>Connection /
Measuring notes</TH></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>1</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Terminal 30 voltage supply</TD> <TD>Fuse F56</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>2</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>3</TD> <TD>E/A</TD> <TD>I-bus signal line</TD> <TD>I-bus splice</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>4</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>5</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Navigation video signal, green</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>6</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Navigation video signal, blue</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>7</TD> <TD>E</TD> <TD>Navigation video signal, red</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>8</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>9</TD> <TD>A</TD> <TD>AF signal +</TD> <TD>Radio</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>10</TD> <TD>M</TD> <TD>Ground</TD> <TD>Ground point</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>11</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>12</TD> <TD>M</TD> <TD>LC monitor ground</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>13</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>14</TD> <TD>M</TD> <TD>Shield</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>15</TD> <TD>M</TD> <TD>Shield</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>16</TD> <TD>M</TD> <TD>Shield</TD> <TD>On-board monitor</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>17</TD> <TD> </TD> <TD>Not used</TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow1> <TD>18</TD> <TD>A</TD> <TD>AF signal -</TD> <TD>Radio</TD></TR> <TR class=pinrow2> <TD colSpan=2> </TD> <TD> </TD> <TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry I dont know your problem, but also have a cheap radio module for sale if you need it.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Your diagnosis has narrowed or down to radio or amplifier. On the new radio Ard is correct and you can determine if it is the radio by listening for navigation.

On the old radio the only way I am aware of is to check the FR and FL outputs for signal to see if they are sending anything to the amp. If they are it is your amp, if they aren't it is your radio. Amps fail far more frequently than radios do, so my money is there.

Doug

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Your diagnosis has narrowed or down to radio or amplifier. On the new radio Ard is correct and you can determine if it is the radio by listening for navigation.

On the old radio the only way I am aware of is to check the FR and FL outputs for signal to see if they are sending anything to the amp. If they are it is your amp, if they aren't it is your radio. Amps fail far more frequently than radios do, so my money is there.

Doug
Thanks for this. I hate to ask a stupid question but I will anyway. How do I check the FR and FL for outputs? If I knew what they were I might know but I haven't a clue, and I couldn't find an answer searching those terms...

Ah wait, do you mean the front left and front right? If so how do I check for output, I see which pins they would be thanks to that great graphic from page one. If it was the amp that has broken would that prevent the orange light from illuminating next to the volume button when I press it to turn it on?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You've got it - you are looking to see if the front left and front right channels are outputting a signal. The Rears are not used in a DSP setting.

If you've got a multi-meter, you can simply put that across the +/- pins for one of the channels. You should get ~5V if your vehicle still thinks there is a DSP amplifier in the car. On the off chance your amplifier has gone out and you have reset your radio (by disconnecting your battery), your radio module may have reverted to non-DSP mode, so make sure you turn up the volume a little bit before checking for signal output. Obviously, in this case you'll get something less than 5, but >0. We don't car if the number if +5 or -5, we only care that it is <>0.

If you'd like to hear what is being output you can connect a full range speaker to the terminals instead of a multi-meter. Bear in mind that 5V is LOUD, so don't be startled and make sure you use an appropriate size speaker just in case your vehicle is still in DSP mode.

SO:
1. Turn on radio
2. Turn up radio volume
3. Check for signal using multimeter or speaker across Front Left/Front Right speaker outputs. Anything <>0 means the radio is okay. 0 means you need a new radio

The other check to see if your amplifier has gone completely out is to check your main menu (not the radio menu, but rather the one where you can select navigation, settings, etc) for the ability to manipulate the DSP settings. If you still have them then your amplifier is at least responding to the iBus.

If anything above doesn't make sense, take a quick read through my first blog post and it should clear it up.

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You've got it - you are looking to see if the front left and front right channels are outputting a signal. The Rears are not used in a DSP setting.

If you've got a multi-meter, you can simply put that across the +/- pins for one of the channels. You should get ~5V if your vehicle still thinks there is a DSP amplifier in the car. On the off chance your amplifier has gone out and you have reset your radio (by disconnecting your battery), your radio module may have reverted to non-DSP mode, so make sure you turn up the volume a little bit before checking for signal output. Obviously, in this case you'll get something less than 5, but >0. We don't car if the number if +5 or -5, we only care that it is <>0.

If you'd like to hear what is being output you can connect a full range speaker to the terminals instead of a multi-meter. Bear in mind that 5V is LOUD, so don't be startled and make sure you use an appropriate size speaker just in case your vehicle is still in DSP mode.

SO:
1. Turn on radio
2. Turn up radio volume
3. Check for signal using multimeter or speaker across Front Left/Front Right speaker outputs. Anything <>0 means the radio is okay. 0 means you need a new radio

The other check to see if your amplifier has gone completely out is to check your main menu (not the radio menu, but rather the one where you can select navigation, settings, etc) for the ability to manipulate the DSP settings. If you still have them then your amplifier is at least responding to the iBus.

If anything above doesn't make sense, take a quick read through my first blog post and it should clear it up.

d-

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome, but here comes another stupid question...

How do I touch the +/- pins for a front channel with my multimeter if the pins on the radio module are covered up by the connector? I'm probably missing something here, what am I missing. I mean, the radio module isn't going to put out a signal to the pins if it isn't hooked up with power from the connector, right?
THANKS AGAIN.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Touch the meter to the pins on the back of the connector while it's plugged into the radio module.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Only for 0.5 seconds :) Seriously though, we just want you to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts