BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been having poor FM reception so I decided to check the trunk behind where the Nav is. Can anyone tell me what this cable is and if it should be plugged in somewhere?
009094CD-7374-44F2-976E-521C66CDEF8C.jpeg
FC772559-EAA6-4649-8981-49D9A63FCDCC.jpeg

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think that wire may have something to do with a phone related matter. I have the same thing in my car, it's also just hanging around in the mess of wiring. If your FM signal is poor, it could be maybe your antenna amplifier or something simple as a loose connection. I believe the antenna amp for FM is behind the left rear c-pillar. There's also another antenna amp for AM and the central locking behind the passenger side c-pillar.

Driver side antena amp
20200125_144513.jpg

Passenger side amp
20200125_144743.jpg

I'd start there first, also check the grid lines at the top of the back glass since that's technically where you get your radio reception from.

Sent from Germany with Love.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that wire may have something to do with a phone related matter. I have the same thing in my car, it's also just hanging around in the mess of wiring. If your FM signal is poor, it could be maybe your antenna amplifier or something simple as a loose connection. I believe the antenna amp for FM is behind the left rear c-pillar. There's also another antenna amp for AM and the central locking behind the passenger side c-pillar.

Driver side antena amp
View attachment 939410

Passenger side amp
View attachment 939411

I'd start there first, also check the grid lines at the top of the back glass since that's technically where you get your radio reception from.

Thanks a lot how do I gain access to that amp do I have to remove anything

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pop out the c-pillar lights, then remove two 8mm bolts behind them. After that, carefully pop out the c-pillars themselves. There will be two push pins holding them. Like I said be careful, since the c-pillars are known to be brittle and break.

Here's an article from Pelican for how to remove them for help. It doesn't mention the two 8mm bolts, but they are there. Also pull the heardrest for more room. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts