BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I am going to drive my beast across the Nullabor Plain in the middle of summer 38-48c and while my cooling system is in good condition I am just a little wary about a 4000km drive....are there any clues as to impending doom or is it a without warning scenario?
I am hoping the previous owner might be able to shed some light on previous replacement and if replace the radiator do you have any suggestions as to the best OEM or aftermarket option?

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Check this site out money well spent Zionsville Autosport.
I have the "drop in" aluminum replacement, not the "big boy" kit. No issues in sunny south Florida. Heat runs in the low to mid 90's, with humidity feels over 100 some days.

I would also make sure the water pump is in good shape. They rarely go, but when you get a lot of miles on them, and given the trip the OP is planning, you don't want to take too many chances.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Given the age of these cars now and the plastic degrading I'd say buy a new OEM or Behr replacement at the very minimum. 48°C, that's close to 120°F! These cars run pretty cool compared to the non M cars so cooling system isn't too stressed.

Rad popped on one of my M5's two days ago. It's not fun. I limped to an auto parts store (stopping to top up coolant every 2 miles) and bought this to get me the 30 miles back home:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-products/product.cfm?id=Plastic%20Tank%20%26%20Radiator%20Repair%20Kit-152

Worked pretty good and held up stuck in gridlock ~90°F weather for 30 mins not moving. Was sweating bullets that is was going not hold. But made it home ok. I had no warning that rad was going to split.

Only other cooling issue I've seen is o-ring failures on the temp sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts