BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in various threads that some of you do track days. I don't have a track nearby but I do autocross with the local sports car club.
:M5rev: :wroom:


Have any of you fitted a harness? Has anyone used a Schroth Rally 3 harness? I would like to use some kind of harness system to hold me in the seat better. Any experience that you can share would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
E34M5 Scott said:
I have noticed in various threads that some of you do track days. I don't have a track nearby but I do autocross with the local sports car club.
:M5rev: :wroom:


Have any of you fitted a harness? Has anyone used a Schroth Rally 3 harness? I would like to use some kind of harness system to hold me in the seat better. Any experience that you can share would be appreciated.

I do remember that a member a few years ago a member did fit a 5 point harness to hold him in place without roll cage.

It requires you to make a small hole between where the seat and the knee support is and anchored this somewhere under the seat.

He then used the rear seat belt bolt lugs for the shoulder belts and the lap belts were bolted in eitherside of the seat where the existing OEM belts are. I believe he used slightly longer sized bolts so he could keep both in together (in the UK you can't legally use a quick release (rotary type buckle) system on the road.

Hopefully, one day someone will make a partial rear roll cage as per the one avaliable for the E39. Basically it assembles in the rear passenger space and bolts in place. No welding required so perfect for w/e track days.

Hope that helps.

Best

M5 Powered
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to give the Rally 3 a try. The way that I understand it they enable you to have a racing type harness while allowing you to keep the factory belts.

The bolt in cage sounds like million dollar idea. We could sell a few here on the board. :biggrin:


M5 powered said:
I do remember that a member a few years ago a member did fit a 5 point harness to hold him in place without roll cage.

It requires you to make a small hole between where the seat and the knee support is and anchored this somewhere under the seat.

He then used the rear seat belt bolt lugs for the shoulder belts and the lap belts were bolted in eitherside of the seat where the existing OEM belts are. I believe he used slightly longer sized bolts so he could keep both in together (in the UK you can't legally use a quick release (rotary type buckle) system on the road.

Hopefully, one day someone will make a partial rear roll cage as per the one avaliable for the E39. Basically it assembles in the rear passenger space and bolts in place. No welding required so perfect for w/e track days.

Hope that helps.

Best

M5 Powered
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
Sabelt are the best harnesses IMHO.

Can't remember the specifics, but I once heard an instructor talk about giving the inertia reel seatbelt a tug in a certain way and getting it to lock tight around you.

Worth a try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Sabelt are the best harnesses IMHO.

Can't remember the specifics, but I once heard an instructor talk about giving the inertia reel seatbelt a tug in a certain way and getting it to lock tight around you.

Worth a try?

When I looked at Harnesses last year these guys below seem to come out top in reviews. The Anti Submarine System is quite a good idea. Allows you to still get protection even when not using a dedicated bucket seat.


http://www.safetydevices.co.uk/oldsite/seat00.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The belts on the link you supplied are the ones that I am considering. The Rally 3 is the recommended fitment for the E34. I have used the quick tug to lock the inertia reel, but it sometimes loosens up. I have driven events both with (a very nice friends Porsche 996) hiha and without a harness and it makes a big difference. You don't realize how much you use the steering wheel to brace yourself until you are really strapped in. I have attached a picture of the car in action. A friend of mine is driving. I am in the passenger seat.



M5 powered said:
When I looked at Harnesses last year these guys below seem to come out top in reviews. The Anti Submarine System is quite a good idea. Allows you to still get protection even when not using a dedicated bucket seat.


http://www.safetydevices.co.uk/oldsite/seat00.html
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
E34M5 Scott said:
The belts on the link you supplied are the ones that I am considering. The Rally 3 is the recommended fitment for the E34. I have used the quick tug to lock the inertia reel, but it sometimes loosens up. I have driven events both with (a very nice friends Porsche 996) hiha and without a harness and it makes a big difference. You don't realize how much you use the steering wheel to brace yourself until you are really strapped in. I have attached a picture of the car in action. A friend of mine is driving. I am in the passenger seat.

I bought the comp 6 point harness for the Lotus. Having extra wide straps is great, removes the need for cushions and speads the load when you are clamped in place.

Yes cornering does take on a whole new meaning when not having to death grip the steering wheel and jam your knee when using the inertia belts. In cars with Leather seats, a harness is blinkin essential.

I do like the rotary mechanism though, it is very well made and disengages the belts quickly. Just as well when you have a car made of highly flamable plastic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Sabelt are the best harnesses IMHO.

Can't remember the specifics, but I once heard an instructor talk about giving the inertia reel seatbelt a tug in a certain way and getting it to lock tight around you.

Worth a try?
To strap yourself in tight using the stock seatbelt there are two typical methods:

1. Pull hard on the seatbelt about halfway to engage the lock then squeeze the seatbelt buckle into the retainer

2. Slide seat back, buckle up, tug hard on seat belt to engage lock, hold seatbelt locked and slide seat forward into the seatbelt

Both methods require that you maintain enough tension at all times to keep the lock from disengaging.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top