BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to help those who are considering exhaust, Racing Dynamics is liquidating brand new e39 m5 catback exhaust -$650. Search CL in Orange county and you will see their adds. Also have velocity stacks and a couple other things.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
If I didn't already have the muffler delete mod with some sick 3.5" tips, i would have jumped on this like a fat kid on candy...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Down to $600 now. You could probably show up with 5 bills and walk out with one.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Am I reading this correctly? Velocity stacks for $370?

151 10 62 100 2 E39 M5 / Z8 - VELOCITY STACK SET S62 1200 370

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

M55555 said:
Am I reading this correctly? Velocity stacks for $370?

151 10 62 100 2 E39 M5 / Z8 - VELOCITY STACK SET S62 1200 370

Yessir.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do you need any further mods to run those?

·
Registered
431 Posts
So let's say I have Dinan mufflers - could I buy their X-Pipe and toss it on without a problem? How does the sound/look compare to the Dinan stuff?

And +1 to the velocity stacks question. I can't imagine it would make anything worse, except maybe a slightly less smooth idle.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Do you need any further mods to run those?
You'll need a software tune.

So let's say I have a Dinan exhaust - could I buy their X-Pipe and toss it on without a problem?

And +1 to the velocity stacks question. I can't imagine it would make anything worse, except maybe a slightly less smooth idle.
Yes, you can run the x-pipe with any muffler setup. The Dinan exhaust only replaces the rear section. The x-pipe will replace the section where your stock resonator and H-pipe are located.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
MY question is, what is the reason behind M designing the oem trumpets the way they did vs simple equal length stacks like these. Wouldn't it have been easier to do our this way from the start? There must be an engineering answer to this.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
MY question is, what is the reason behind M designing the oem trumpets the way they did vs simple equal length stacks like these. Wouldn't it have been easier to do our this way from the start? There must be an engineering answer to this.
The goal of the E39 M5 was to offer equal delivery of torque and power throughout the entire powerband, an attribute we quickly realize when driving between our E39 M5's and other BMW or other vehicles. If BMW designed equal length stacks, or in this case, something similar to RD velocity stacks, power then transfers to being applicable in the high powerband. I just don't think designing them this way was in-line with the type of power BMW intended the E39 M5 powerplant to delivery.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I tried calling earlier about buying the velocity stacks but I didn't get an answer.

However, upon further research it appears that these shorty velocity stacks actually take away power. The OEM funnels are the best option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any videos of the mufflers installed? Would love to hear them...to compare to the muffler-delete sound.
+1
I'd love to hear how this exhaust setup sounds. $970 is a great price for a full cat-back (X-pipe and mufflers) exhaust setup.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I tried calling earlier about buying the velocity stacks but I didn't get an answer.

However, upon further research it appears that these shorty velocity stacks actually take away power. The OEM funnels are the best option.
I have a feeling they might be closed on Saturdays.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Thanks for the response!

The goal of the E39 M5 was to offer equal delivery of torque and power throughout the entire powerband, an attribute we quickly realize when driving between our E39 M5's and other BMW or other vehicles. If BMW designed equal length stacks, or in this case, something similar to RD velocity stacks, power then transfers to being applicable in the high powerband. I just don't think designing them this way was in-line with the type of power BMW intended the E39 M5 powerplant to delivery.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Seems to take away low end power and possibly higher in the rev band, so it would be suited for race applications I presume

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sigh... (kicks himself again for living in the UK :()

1 - 20 of 29 Posts