1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
not worth $1000 for almost factory headers.
My uncle has these on his M5 with a Conforti Tune. I believe he got them for $600 which in my opinion was a good deal for them. Id agree with nightkrawler that 1k at this time is a bit over priced for these.... considering for a bit more you can get SS which are easier to install as well.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
BMW e39 M5 headers / 5 Series RDsport headers: eBay Motors (item 230480541789 end time Jun-03-10 15:45:53 PDT)

Found these on ebay, they look pretty much stock but it says in the description that they use bigger tubing, they also say they were originally designed for the 3 series v8 tornado.

has anyone bought these, are these a real racing dynamics part?

For less than half the cost of supersprint it's mildly tempting.
Sigh...
Greg..I mean no disrespect here...but this pops up at least once a month.
Given the problems people have had trying to "save money" on exhaust systems for the M5....just spend the money on a proven system like SS and be done with it....

You will like the gain, and the sound.

We seem to need to reinvent the manifolds over and over and over on this ten year old car.

Cheers Man..

And please don't take my message wrong :) Just trying to save you some headache my friend

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the responses, i have seen other threads of other "ebay" headers, but never had seen these on ebay or in a thread before. I don't think i could ever justify the 2grand+install for supersprint headers, but I also don't need to just buy something cause its a cheap alternative.

I posted a questions in another thread but never really got a clear answer and reading through what i found with search i couldn't find a definite answer. So, is there any gain with removing the cats with stock headers? even if the gain is 2hp? and would i be able to pass md emission so long as the SES is off, either due to a chip or spacing out the O2 sensors?

thanks

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
thanks for all the responses, i have seen other threads of other "ebay" headers, but never had seen these on ebay or in a thread before. I don't think i could ever justify the 2grand+install for supersprint headers, but I also don't need to just buy something cause its a cheap alternative.

I posted a questions in another thread but never really got a clear answer and reading through what i found with search i couldn't find a definite answer. So, is there any gain with removing the cats with stock headers? even if the gain is 2hp? and would i be able to pass md emission so long as the SES is off, either due to a chip or spacing out the O2 sensors?

thanks
\
Probably not worth the effort, IMHO.

·
Registered
851 Posts
As Aaron mentioned, I've seen them for $600 at one point and was tempted to pull the trigger on them but after my research, decided they were not worth it for the extra savings.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I see 4 into 2. Then what? Not worth the pain and suffering to make them work. Will they provide better gains than OEM manifolds? Probably but not w/o a software tune.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
i thought something was odd here... these are RDsport headers but they aren't being sold by RDsport, check sellers name. RDsport dosen't stock these headers anymore, so if there was an issue with them you're probably sol.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,690 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would spend the money on these, they are the exact same design as the incredibly restrictive oem manifolds, with slightly larger shiny tubing. Best spend the cash elsewhere!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

End of discussion !

(In my opinion)

Ask me how I know......

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
A friend of mine has the rd sport headers and he has almost the same rwhp as I do... so his gains were very good... Im not a fan of these... or like how the car sounds( not loud enough for my taste... but to each their own....

BTW nice pics London of the new headers but they still don't look Like the equal length headers ... it has a lot of individual cuts and welds...

here is a crappy pic of mine before I had em installed

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
BTW nice pics London of the new headers but they still don't look Like the equal length headers ... it has a lot of individual cuts and welds...
Cheers !! and by the way, they were never meant to be equal length headers ??

Van Manen do not polish over their welds as other manufaturers do, to hide their poor quality welds (IMO). Van Manen leave their world class welding on open display, with good reason.

The gains that can be acquired with the adoption of an equal length design in certain engines, cannot be achieved within the packaging constraints of an S62 in an E39 M5 application. In my opinion of course, but I do regularly speak to some very interesting people.

Thanks

I read it here too (attached)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts