BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Raced my e60 M5 against a modded 600 HP AMG SL55

9K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  VicM5 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I raced my buddy's modded AMG SL55 from 20 to 150 MPH and the cars were dead even. He got an initial 1 car lead, since he jumped out first, but the M5 stayed on his tail until 150 when we both agreed to let off.

He states his SL55 makes 600 hp and 650 lb ft of torque (crank figures). He has a supercharger pulley kit, ECU flash, short tube headers, high flow air filters, resonators deleted and higher capacity intercooler and I/C pump.

The only mods my M5 has are BMC filters, charcoals filters removed, scoops and Evosport pulley. My exhaust is all stock.

I seriously was expecting to pull on him at higher speeds, since I have read how the M5/M6 should beat the AMG's due to our 7-speed gearbox at higher speeds but then again look how much hp and torque his beast makes.

Do you think my M5 is running optimally considering I could not pull by him up to 150?

Thanks
Tony

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys,

I raced my buddy's modded AMG SL55 from 20 to 150 MPH and the cars were dead even. He got an initial 1 car lead, since he jumped out first, but the M5 stayed on his tail until 150 when we both agreed to let off.

He states his SL55 makes 600 hp and 650 lb ft of torque (crank figures). He has a supercharger pulley kit, ECU flash, short tube headers, high flow air filters, resonators deleted and higher capacity intercooler and I/C pump.

The only mods my M5 has are BMC filters, charcoals filters removed, scoops and Evosport pulley. My exhaust is all stock.

I seriously was expecting to pull on him at higher speeds, since I have read how the M5/M6 should beat the AMG's due to our 7-speed gearbox at higher speeds but then again look how much hp and torque his beast makes.

Do you think my M5 is running optimally considering I could not pull by him up to 150?

Thanks
Tony

Do you believe he had 600 hp? Ask the guys at MBworld if these mods would yield 600 hp.

#3 ·
Do you believe he had 600 hp? Ask the guys at MBworld if these mods would yield 600 hp.
It's actually certainly possible.

But despite that fact of the obvious irony of the term "SL" (Sport Light) in the SL55, (heavy. Actually a little heavier than the M5 amazingly.. ), I still don't believe how your lightly modded (BMC Filters, A Pulley Okay, and scoops can keep up with a 600 hp and 650 lb ft torque vehicle.

I thought he might've had a few carlengths on you.

#7 ·
So it sounds like my M5 might not be a weak example, since it was able to keep pace with my buddy's SL55?

I went to the Evosport website and it appears his car makes approximately 580 hp and 646 lb ft of torque for the parts he installed excluding the air filter and resonator delete which does not claim specific horsepower increases on the Evosport site, so maybe he was inflating the numbers a little.

http://www.evosport.com/product/proddetail.aspx?partnum=EVO.PER.M5K.PP2.211

Do you guys think I should have lost (since I don't have an M6) and that he should have easily pulled away due to the huge hp and torque
shortfall in my M5?

#9 ·
So it sounds like my M5 might not be a weak example, since it was able to keep pace with my buddy's SL55?

I went to the Evosport website and it appears his car makes approximately 580 hp and 646 lb ft of torque for the parts he installed excluding the air filter and resonator delete which does not claim specific horsepower increases on the Evosport site, so maybe he was inflating the numbers a little.

http://www.evosport.com/product/proddetail.aspx?partnum=EVO.PER.M5K.PP2.211

Do you guys think I should have lost (since I don't have an M6) and that he should have easily pulled away due to the huge hp and torque
shortfall in my M5?
Tony, I would not be worried losing to this guy, because his car IT IS fast, no questions asked, I would just put some headers on your beast and a tune plus all your mods and then I'll call him again to see what happens, and even then it might be a very interesting race...The M6 would have behaved the same...the difference between these cars (M5, M6) is not that abysmal as portrayed here... they are VERY close in performance and a SL55 with all those mods would've kicked us in the arse anyways...M6 or M5 this is the real outcome...

Go ahead now and race a stock SL55 and see the difference...

#10 ·
No, I was serious, the M5 feels slower than the M6. I dont know what it is, but even my Wife said that she thinks the M6 was faster. I agree.

And as far as what I drive....I keeps what I find. :D

#11 ·
No, I was serious, the M5 feels slower than the M6. I dont know what it is, but even my Wife said that she thinks the M6 was faster. I agree.

And as far as what I drive....I keeps what I find. :D
Cosmos, is all about the mind...maybe when you look back you see all the space and bigger perspective and it makes you think you are heavier, I mean we are heavier than a M6, but I dont think we should think of the M5 as a crate when compared to the M6, they are different cars and may weight different but by no means the M5 is that much slower...just revvit right and it will say thanks back at you...Good thing your wife is on top of things, thats cool...

#12 · (Edited)
Well, she was in the M6 and I was in the M5 on the freeway yesterday and the M5 lost the 50-120mph test by almost a car.

I am upset. We did not switch cars, but they are both SMG. The M5 only has 1400 miles on it and the M6 has 6500, but still....FYI: both are 2008 cars.

#14 ·
Ok, so two weeks ago we bought a 535i, I asked why dont we get the 550i (this was before we bought the M5) her responce was...cause we cant chip the 550i and get all the power like we can on the 535i.....humm:3:

I have no idea what to do with her:dunno:

#17 ·
Definately keep the wife! lovelove

Dump the M5 POS!:hihi:

Then again 1400 mi hasn't allowed it to it's full potential.:3:

#15 ·
Aww man u got two of my dreams come true in one afternoon, first you get to race the wife, second u lose... To her now that's as cool as it can get... Congrats to the wife on the win... Just let the M5 get some miles and hit it hard, then report back... I think you babied it in that race... One car difference is lack of true pedal to the metal and a little bit of lack of HARD miles on the M5... By the way the wife is a keeper in my book...

#20 ·
Has anyone else here raced a modded SL55 with essentially a stock M5? I am curious if the outcome was similar to mine or not. Thanks
FWIW, last weekend at the E60.net SLO meet I ran against an E63 AMG. First run was not worth talking about. The second one we both got identical starts from somewhere around .60 to about 1.40. Dead even the entire way and we were even shifting at the exact same time! AMG slightly modded. M5 BMC filters no CF. Scoops are sitting on the kitchen table waiting to go on. AMG thought he slightly walked away at the end, I think that is when I wussed and let off before the approaching sweeper. I couldn't believe how dead even we were and do not think either one of us pulled on the other.

You can read more here...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=50058&st=150

#26 ·
That SL did not have 600hp...

My friends stage 5 SL55 (has around 600hp) ran Vic's M6 which has exhaust, pulley, chip and RPI scoops...he killed the M6 by many cars (i wasnt there, just going on what they told me).

#28 ·
What speeds did they race one another? How many cars did the M6 get beat by the SL55?

It sounds like Vic's M6 is comparably modded like my M5 with the exception of ECU and exhaust (muffler, headers or both?) If he only has the aftermarket cans, I doubt his car makes much more horsepower (+5 hp maybe?) than mine.

What exactly is a stage 5 motor on the AMGs? I think a Renntech makes a stage 5, which is comparable, but adds the 80mm TB and airbox. I think my buddy's car is making 580 hp (according to Evosport website) and I have verified he has the parts installed on his car.

Considering I was able to keep up with my friend's "580hp" SL55 to 150; I would guess my M5 is running up to snuff. :confused2

#27 ·
i have to say it really there is a huge difference between the m5 and m6& if it was m6 surely it will pull specially at high speeds

#29 ·
Why is the M6 faster than M5 at high speeds??

Why is the general consensus that the M6 is so much faster than the M5 at high speeds?

Both cars have the same engine, transmission and gearing. The M6 may weigh approximately 100 pounds less, but the M5 has a slightly lower coefficient of drag (0.31 vs 0.32). Also, I would not expect the 100# weight advantage to play much importance at speeds in excess of 100.

Any thoughts why the M6 is so much faster according to some owners?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.