BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from a bar in Los Angeles last week. This guy that I know who has an SLR was speeding down Sunset Blvd in his Quattroporte (gold, eww). I proceeded to tailgate him around the banked turns. There was a wet spot as we were going about 80 around a turn and his car fish tailed and was headed for the curb until he finally caught it. I trusted my traction control as I held the turn, I barely budged. Pulling ahead of him I could see his shame. That car simply should not race anything. Fast, but a true disappointment.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The Maserati Quattroporte does not stand a chance against our cars. The car is looks but has no heart. I ran one owned by another doc at the hospital and it was an embarrassment. He now calls me a bully.
Good job on the on counter.

Cheers, M5Ranger...Juan

Reactions: m5baller

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The QP has 400 and change hp, no way it compares. I test drove the new one the other day and that thing is a slow heavy sled!:sad1: The fit and finish were all very nice, but damn that thing couldn't get out of its on way!

Robert cherrsagai

·
Registered
325 Posts
So the traction control on the Quattroporte sucks, I am glad to hear the TC on the M5 is so good, cause I am always afraid of that snappy fishtail.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
What is a gran turismo S ? I presume more power than the quatroporte?

·
Registered
994 Posts
What is a gran turismo S ? I presume more power than the quatroporte?
It's the new coupe. The S variant has a 4.7 giving 430bhp instead of 394bhp. Still a small fish as far as the M5 pond is concerned.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Guys, I used to outdrive the QP with the 550i! The QP is a nice car and very very well appointed. However, it is underpowered compared to other euro cars in its class and suffers from severe reliability issues, at least for the ones we get in Australia anyway.

Recently went on a 'cannon ball' type run with some friend one of whom brought his Masser GT...gorgeous car but performance wise it dissapointed him for the type of driving we did and dissapointed the passengers who tried it. The general consensus was that it was a big luxury 2 door boat...horses for courses, but certainly no where near M5 category.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its not the just HP alone as the E60 M5 is a very heavy car and also depending a lot on the driver; as I easily took out the E60 M5 with my E46 M3 (only about 340BHP) at the Ring in Germany. I need to see what my E60 M5 can do at the Ring now:) J

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its not the just HP alone as the E60 M5 is a very heavy car and also depending a lot on the driver; as I easily took out the E60 M5 with my E46 M3 (only about 340BHP) at the Ring in Germany. I need to see what my E60 M5 can do at the Ring now:) J
driver skill also comes into play :haha: I've taken an E46 M3 at the track with my 550i, but the M3 driver had little track experince compared to me :flag:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maseratis dont drive well at all even the new Granturismo is heavy and slow.

However the Maserati has the sickest style whether sedan or new Granturismo

I always said when the M5 came out in 2006. If it had the body and interior of the Maserati it would be the worls BEST CAR no questions asked, but it will take away from Ferrari sales for sure so for now they are stuck with the puny 4.2 and autobox

I know if Ferrari was to ever build a sedan it woul feel like the M5 for sure and mot likely even better.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Okay let me get this straight SpeedTrap. You stated that on the "ring" you beat, out ran or whatever an E60 M5 with a stock E46 M3 ?

Is that an accurate description of your statement ? I want to get it right because I find it ridiculous. Was the E60 M5 driver a double amputee. This unbelieveable.
I have out pulled and beaten even E46 M3's with SC'ers. At high speeds, over 140 they only get smaller in my mirrors.

So to be crystal clear, in an E46 M3 you beat and out performed an E60 M5.
Correct.

M5Ranger

·
Registered
116 Posts
Okay let me get this straight SpeedTrap. You stated that on the "ring" you beat, out ran or whatever an E60 M5 with a stock E46 M3 ?

Is that an accurate description of your statement ? I want to get it right because I find it ridiculous. Was the E60 M5 driver a double amputee. This unbelieveable.
I have out pulled and beaten even E46 M3's with SC'ers. At high speeds, over 140 they only get smaller in my mirrors.

Correct.

M5Ranger
Yes! Absolutely! A stock E60 M5 is not fast around the corners at all. On the straights, I was losing to him,, and there is not many straights in the Ring if you know it well for an E60 M5 to pull away there are 172 corners in all!. You cannot even get up to 140mph on the straights at any point at all, except the last bit. My E46 M3 is quite heavily modded except for a supercharger. Coilovers, power pullers, remap, stoptechs, etc etc...:)

Jerome

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I respectfully have alot of problems with your story.
You are saying that there is no where on the "ring" that the M5 could achieve over 140?
In the US the M5 can hit 150 in our tighter courses compared to the "ring".

Oh well I really don't give heck at this point. We have gone off topic and I apologize.

M5Ranger

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
...And it would cost north of $300,000.
They have a 4 seater, its called the 612 and used they run about $285k. Nice big V12!!!

Robert cherrsagai

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Correct.

M5Ranger

I would believe this story. A heavily modified M3 is smaller, stiffer suspension, lighter, and prob pretty quick 0-60. It is hard to make the M3's much faster w/o forced induction, so i would assume modified, it would prob do 4.8, 4.7. The M5 handles amazing, and absolutely rapes a stock E46.

I have done it to almost every E46 that I encounter (every M3 in LA wants a piece of me for some reason).

Can't all M owners get along!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts