BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy 4th everyone!

So I've been toying with the idea of mixing in some race fuel. I have done some searches and nothing really recent has come up. I know Randy Wei has ran some and posted some good feedback and reviews. Has anyone else? Also what specific race fuel did you run? If I recall correctly the factory DME can only adapt to 96~ octane or so regardless of tuning.

I am looking at ordering a five gallon pale of VP100
VP-100 Fuel

Only thing that concerns me is the ethanol content is anywhere from 10-30%.

Any input is appreciated! Evolve said there is no negative in running it and it would hit the ignition targets and perform more consistently.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Frankly I do not know, but since you say any input, you are asking for it! LOL

Seriously I will try to be brief and lead to what further questions to ask Evolve.

1.- if the Owners manual says maximum 15% ethanol, then who is right?

2.- are the engine controls closed loop or are maps based on 91 octane with max 15% ethenol being reffered too at times.
-if no; then the motor may run slightly lean (if 30% ethanol) when the stored maps are in control.

3.- could there be a fuel system material compatability issue at 30% ethnol.

4. -the combustion chamber cooling of E85 (fuel) as well as methanol are known, how much of a benefit 30% etahnol, I do not know but this may weigh to the plus side enough to make Evolve's assertion reliable.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with running ethanol free gas. There is a fairly good benefit from running it. Use this link to find one in your area. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
There used to be a Shell station up your way that sold 101 octane at the pump.
Thank you! I will look into that first.
Frankly I do not know, but since you say any input, you are asking for it! LOL

Seriously I will try to be brief and lead to what further questions to ask Evolve.

1.- if the Owners manual says maximum 15% ethanol, then who is right?

2.- are the engine controls closed loop or are maps based on 91 octane with max 15% ethenol being reffered too at times.
-if no; then the motor may run slightly lean (if 30% ethanol) when the stored maps are in control.

3.- could there be a fuel system material compatability issue at 30% ethnol.

4. -the combustion chamber cooling of E85 (fuel) as well as methanol are known, how much of a benefit 30% etahnol, I do not know but this may weigh to the plus side enough to make Evolve's assertion reliable.
Lol! Well I found out the ethanol content after I contacted them. I was reading the MSDS sheet (all those biology and science classes I actually learned something) and looking at all the chemical content.

·
2,149 Posts
MS109 is good stuff made by VP racing.. I would let a tuner also send you a race gas file to maximize the benefits.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Careful - MS109 shouldn't be left in the tank for extended periods. If you put it in I would run the tank down and then refill with pump gas before parking for the night.

I would buy MS109 before the 100 though because it's about the same price but you get higher octane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts