BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1326257&postcount=159

Price now $5000. Will deliver to in the LA county area (basically, anywhere reasonable between Vegas and Anaheim, CA) for free if you can wait a few weeks or come get them here. I'm willing to ship them too if we can agree on price and shipping costs are okay...but these puppies are still 45+ lbs each with tires.

Pictures at the thread above on my car, and I'll be posted the best close-ups I can of the one wheel with some lip edge damage, but it's not noticeable unless you're really looking for it because the tire bead pretty much covers it. I wish they were 100% perfect, and anybody who knows me knows how well I keep my cars. I even spent $400 have two MINOR curb scratches fixed but didn't want to deal with it being done again right after having the new tires installed.

Might have actually been from a problem during install now that I look at it (supposed to install tires upside down on these, and I think they started right side up at first on this one wheel).

Only 500 gentle miles on these tires...actually, I'm not even sure that many miles are on them yet!

EDIT: I realize many of you may not know the history on these wheels and understand what you're really getting. Chuck & Ralph, the founders of RAC Monolites, are a boutique wheel manfucturer that runs through Champion Motorsports in Florida, so you know there is a big USA name behind them. These wheels were spec'ed as part of a group buy here on the board in 2006. I wasn't a participant in that group buy, where guys got these for about $3500-3700. I had to pay $4500 shipped since I got the "retail" price that was offered for a couple sets that people backed out of.

Only about 20 sets were made. 10 were group buy here, a few extra sets went wherever, and at least several wheels were made for accident replacements (so you're not out an entire set of custom wheels if you blow one in an indicent). Supply & demand can drive the resale price on these wheels.

They are one-piece forged in Japan to international specs and certifications! Most big name companies you know of don't certify their wheels to international requirements at all. They also weigh only 21lb up front, 22-23 lbs for the rear. The net weight savings including tires is about 5-6lbs LESS THAN STOCK! The wider rubber is definitely a nice bonus too. You may not realize just how much extra traction you have both off the line and turning until you throw the stock wheels/tires back on. Also, while not a requirement, if you have the Dinan sway bar/FRC kit, it will help you use every bit of traction the wider rubber gives you. I'm sure lowering springs may help even more, but I never changed the springs on mine.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Nice wheels James are you getting a new set:)...good luck with the sale:cheers:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice wheels James are you getting a new set:)...good luck with the sale:cheers:
Original intention was to keep the M5 at most to 3 years, maybe longer if I could CPO it. Since CPO is almost certainly not happening, and with a few big changes for me in the works, I'm starting with the wheels and I pretty much expect to put the car up for sale in the next month too. Depending on how things work out, I might very well pick up an E39 M5 for a couple years and then jump back in with a 2011 or 2012 M5.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Not too bad on picking up a E39 M5:cheers:
Original intention was to keep the M5 at most to 3 years, maybe longer if I could CPO it. Since CPO is almost certainly not happening, and with a few big changes for me in the works, I'm starting with the wheels and I pretty much expect to put the car up for sale in the next month too. Depending on how things work out, I might very well pick up an E39 M5 for a couple years and then jump back in with a 2011 or 2012 M5.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am very interested in your wheels, but you are way too high on your asking price for a set of used wheels/tires. The last set of RAC's sold for $3700 and they included 2 sets of almost brand new tires. If you are willing to take $3500, I will buy them assuming the condition is as you represent them.

If this works for you, I can pick them up next weekend, since I don't need much of an excuse to hang out in Vegas.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Price drop to $5k.

I noted the last sale, although I'm not sure who bought those in the end since they were passed on by the first person for some reason. I think he sold them too cheap, which is also why he had two very immediate buyers. If I had the Conti's still on these about 50% worn, I would consider. Also note that the tires on the previous wheels cost about $400-500 less than these, although having two sets was quite a deal. I'm not saying these are better tires, I'm telling you what the price premium is for getting 275/30 and 305/30 tire combos. They're not cheap!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice wheels but you must remember these are used and one of the rims has a little curbage. I know they were expensive when you bought them but imo $5k is a little steep for used rims and new tires, even higher end wheels like yours.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Please note that sellers of other used high end wheels' "asking prices" are much lower than yours. For example, there is a set of 20" HRE's with brand new tires asking $3500 that probably can be purchased for $3k is my guess.

The economy is in the dumps, so people are not paying premiums for anything. I noticed you are a realtor in Las Vegas, so you know first hand how terrible the real estate market is and how it has affected the economy.

My $3500 offer still stands if you are interested in selling the wheels.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Stand firm, James! I don't think 5K is so unreasonable (maybe on the high-ish side) for a custom (and now otherwise unavailable), small-production, fully forged, lightweight 20' wheel with brand new tires. I too bought these wheels at the retail price. I'd sooner keep them in my garage and wait out the economic slump than sell them for $3500 WITH NEW TIRES. Just an opinion from a fellow RAC owner.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Was it this one? http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116107&highlight=HRE

Please note that sellers of other used high end wheels' "asking prices" are much lower than yours. For example, there is a set of 20" HRE's with brand new tires asking $3500 that probably can be purchased for $3k is my guess.

The economy is in the dumps, so people are not paying premiums for anything. I noticed you are a realtor in Las Vegas, so you know first hand how terrible the real estate market is and how it has affected the economy.

My $3500 offer still stands if you are interested in selling the wheels.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bump. $4500 + shipping. Take'em before I start putting miles on these tires (maybe 600 miles on them now). I'll also throw in the Dinan FRC and rear sway bar kit off my car, which works VERY well with the extra wide rubber.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know there is some interest but my comments about the blemishes on the rear right wheel both some. Here are three pictures. Two close-ups, and one to let you know where you're looking. The one on the left is about 3/4" long, the one on the right about 1.5". I checked it our further too and it was definitely caused by the tire installer's tools. He started installing the tire with the wheel face up, and when that stalled out the machine had to work on removing it, causing the marks and then flipping it over to install it correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
badump...BUMP

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
These will also fit the E63 M6 no problem. Mounted them on my friend's car for a potential buyer, and they are just fine even with the wide tires (in fact, they were slightly narrower than his wheels, and he had 325 wide tires on the rear).

Now for sale at only $3,500.00, + shipping, and I will NOT have the right-rear repaired at that price. Please see the post a couple above. The blemish is very minor, and in a spot that you CANNOT see unless you're right up close to the wheel. If you want it fixed, I'll handle getting it done but you're going to have to pay for it (about $125-150 is my guess based on prior experience with wheel repairs).

This is an absolute steal. You're getting high performance, light-weight wheels with almost brand new tires (only 2000 miles on them now, and they're not currently on the car). It's like getting the tires for free, and that is a $1600+ value alone! Check the price of 275/30 and 305/30 tires lately? They're up a couple hundred bucks from when I got these 6 months ago as well.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My RACs on my friend's M6 to confirm fitment with these tires (he had 325 wide tires on his rear wheels!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bump

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
boing... $3500...ready to go!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts