BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to go from 50 - 90mph?<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Picture the scene; you are on a dual carriageway and a lorry pulls out in front of you to overtake another slower moving lorry. So you are now doing 50mph in sixth gear. You look in your rear-view mirror to see some diesel, rep piece of tat welded to your shiny tailpipes. When the lorry pulls over, which is the best choice of gears to show him what the M badge stands for; 6<SUP>th</SUP>, 5<SUP>th</SUP>, 4<SUP>th</SUP>, 3<SUP>rd</SUP> or 2<SUP>nd</SUP>/3<SUP>rd</SUP>?<O:p</O:p
I did some tests (three times in each gear and took an average)<O:p</O:p

50 - 90mph in<O:p</O:p

6<SUP>th</SUP> - 11.82 secs.<O:p</O:p
5<SUP>th</SUP> - 10.25 secs
4<SUP>th</SUP> – 7.37 secs.<O:p</O:p
3<SUP>rd</SUP> – 6.25 secs.<O:p</O:p
2<SUP>nd</SUP>/3<SUP>rd</SUP> – 6.00 secs.<O:p</O:p

A fairly predicable result as I’m sure you can all testify for your own experiences. In round numbers then at these speeds, third gear is twice as quick as sixth! I am also surprised that the 2<SUP>nd</SUP>/3<SUP>rd</SUP> run was quicker than just 3<SUP>rd</SUP> considering it includes a gear change.<O:p</O:p

I know it is hardly scientific, but thought it would be interesting to see the results and thought I would share it with you guys. My car is slightly (lightly) modified, Sport was OFF and I had one passenger (GF who was recording the results).<O:p</O:p

Disclaimer – this was done on a private road and was certainly not carried out on the public roads!:7:<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
114 Posts
wow my girl would be chewing my ear off 'bout driving fast haha. I need one of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
So, what's your question

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Interesting set of figures. I use a GPS camera detector with a speedo that updates every second. I've noticed that in almost any gear at sensible speeds, each 20mph increment takes the same number of seconds as the gear you are in, or a fraction less.

As for the repmobile question, if they are in 5th/6th gear then the M5's fifth gear acceleration would leave them floundering well behind. If they were in the optimum gear for accelerating, fourth would still leave just about 'owt vaguely normal. If it was a 335d though, you'd be wanting 3rd to get the job done.:M5launch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts