BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to cure my 2000 m5 it has the trifecta and no speedo and somewhat inacurate gas gauge below 1/4 tank, i searched and read for about an hour or 2 but could not find an answer to one question i have and that is that my cruise control still works properly so how would that work if my wheel speed sensor and or abs module are defective? , ive replaced the rear passinger side wheel speed sensor (right rear)? and swapped in a reman precoded abs module but no change to the problem, i dont have any diagnostic equiptment other than a simple obd2 scanner which probly wont help with this, so with all this forums wisdom what should i do next?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok made some pregress, i replaced the rear left sensor and the speedo now works, but the trifecta lights were still on so i swaped in my original abs module and disconected-reconected the battery and the trifecta goes out and stays out till i drive over exactly 30mph, ive tryed this 3 different times, if i start the car and let it idle for 20min no trifecta till i drive over 30, so with all this forums great wisdom what should i do next?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
You need to read the errors, there is no real guessing at this stuff. You tell us the code you have and we can likely tell you where to go from there. Are you sure your precoded ABS unit was properly coded for your car? It does not sound right or it would at minimum behave the same as the one you originally had or work better.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
whats the best and most affordable way to read the codes?
You need a BMW-specific code reader, like Schwaben, Carly, or similar. Or, you can get a OBDII (K and D-can compatible) cable and load some BMW software like INPA or Rheingold to your Windows laptop and use that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
which modle schwaben do i need, i also have an airbag light on, there one for $99 and another for $229? also would like to be able to code my abs module if i need to, can the schwaben do that or is that laptop only?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Schwaben is code reader only. Carly will do it all if you don't mind the cost. Cheapest way is to download INPA and get the cable.
Schwaben is not just a scanner. There is someting like a truncated version of INPA loaded on it, so it can do certain functions and some coding. You need to look which model does what though, I have not used it in a while. But I agree, INPA is the easiest and cheapest way to do all of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts