BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Quick question about the new SMG gearbox for those of you in Europe with hands-on experience:

If you rev the engine to the 8250 RPM redline, will the car automatically shift up one gear for you? Or do you need to make the shift yourself?

I know that in Launch Control mode you just keep your foot on the gas and the car upshifts for you.

My question is in regular driving. If I'm just in the city, in 3rd gear, for example, and I floor it, will the car upshift for itself or no?

(What does an SMG-II M3 do?)

Thanks all.
-Matthew

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
MT JTN said:
Hi everybody. Quick question about the new SMG gearbox for those of you in Europe with hands-on experience:

If you rev the engine to the 8250 RPM redline, will the car automatically shift up one gear for you? Or do you need to make the shift yourself?

I know that in Launch Control mode you just keep your foot on the gas and the car upshifts for you.

My question is in regular driving. If I'm just in the city, in 3rd gear, for example, and I floor it, will the car upshift for itself or no?

(What does an SMG-II M3 do?)

Thanks all.
-Matthew
Strangely, despite hitting the rev limiter so many times, I can't really remember, but I think it holds it until you change up yourself...

·
Registered
829 Posts
Don't have mine yet so I wouldn't know if this is true but according to the manual.

In the following situations, the M Sequantial gearbox anticipates your intentions when in Sequential mode:
* Upshifts and downshifts are only performed at suitable engine and road speeds; for example you cannot downshift if the resulting enginespeed would be too high.
* When you bring the car to a halt 1st gear is selected automaticaly.
* Shortly before you reach the minimum speed for the selected gear, the gearbox shifts down without any action required on your part.
So no it doesn't upshift at the redline, like the VW/Opel/Audi tiptronic gearboxes (god I hate that).

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
in S mode it will not- it will hit the rev limiter. In D, it will. In D, it will downshift and the drive logic mode will determine how willing it is to downshift.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very good! Thank you all!

That would take out a lot of the fun if it would upshift automatically for you. Bah!

-Matthew

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree. It lets you choose. D for real automatic like driving and S for sequential F1 style driving. I was very impressed with the D mode and I found changing drive logic settings produced real differences when in D. I found I preferred level 3 for D and 5 for S (ie. D3 and S5). I did not notice much in the way of shift speed difference but the higher drive logic modes change how much throttle you need to call for a downshift and how long it holds a gear before an upshift.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree and I also think its to protect you the owner and whomever you may have loaned your car to: Mrs. (or Mr.) or valet, etc. When they punch it, it will be at the lowest part of the powerband- and if they have not hit the power or M buttons they will also be in P400 mode. Just a guess. Upon reflection, I like this for your and my speculative reasons.

·
Registered
457 Posts
German M6 manual, page 48, topic Drivelogic: "Drivelogic offers a variety of drive programs. Drive-Modus (D): There are 5 drive programs available, from relaxed (1) to sporty, very dynamic (5). The 1st drive program makes the cars start in 2nd gear, what is recommended under wintry road conditions with ice and snow."

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
You wont go very far, or very effectively/ safely for that matter, on those stock tires if there is even a hint of snow on the ground. Read more of the owners manual, because I am certain it says the tires on the car are summer tires and not appropriate for driving in the winter. If the manual does not say this, it should.

While starting in 2nd would be helpful for winter driving, I think the reason is a combination of factors mentioned here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts