BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First drive in the M since the weather turned pleasant here in the northeast went out for a pair of sneakers. Leaving the shopping complex I see in my mirror a very shinny and red R8, I give the driver thumbs up and pull onto the on ramp. Not sure of his intentions I hit the turn fairly hard and he was right behind me, in second gear pulled onto freeway put the hammer down and cranked right to red line in third and shifted into fourth thats when he passed me. We ran out of room right after that and slowed down for traffic, not sure of the year of the R8 but if I was to guess it was brand new. The M held its own as usual, I believe HP is similar but the Audi obviously weighs much less. :wroom:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Was it the V10 model?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It had to be the V10 since it had the unique LED headlights and the larger side air intakes which were a matte black not the body color.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's what I thought...those things are pretty darn quick. Nice run!

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Seems like a pretty good beating by the R8 and the M5 didn't really "hold its own". How fast did he pass you?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He passed at about 125 mph, if we did not run out of room and I would have had a chance to run out 4th gear I believe I could have made up some distance. The M5 really shines at higher speeds as we all know. But in the end he would have won, much lighter and more horsepower. The reason I say the M held its own is we are comparing a four door to an all out performance car.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Gotcha

·
Registered
319 Posts
it must be the V10 version coz there's no way V8 (420hp) version can run against you .

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm confused! I've run against the V8 (not even close) and the V10 and past 100 I had a steady crawl away from him. I'd say I pulled a car length from 100-130 then another car length from 130-150/155 Maybe he had some extra toys to help him along?

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I'm confused! I've run against the V8 (not even close) and the V10 and past 100 I had a steady crawl away from him. I'd say I pulled a car length from 100-130 then another car length from 130-150/155 Maybe he had some extra toys to help him along?
Or maybe because the OP's M5 is stock and your car is heavily modded, both racing against stock R8 V10s?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like a fun run. I always love to play with the "super cars" in our big sedans, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i also played against a R8 this WE

i was showing the beast to a potential buyer when our path crossed a R8
i followed him on an access ramp to the autobahn and then he went full power
as i was low rpm in 3rd gear, he took some distance from me but then the beast reveals all his power
and i was glad surprised to keep up and getting closer and closer to him and when above 220 km/h i overtook him easily :goldcup:

no idea if it was a V8 or V10 version, i was focused on my driving as we were very fast...

my beast is stock except the Evosport pulley

·
Registered
27 Posts
The beast never fails to puts a smile on my face.. A few days ago i had an Aston Martin Rapide pull up behind me at speed, so i moved into the middle lane and floored it (im M mode ofcourse).. i was inching away for the 1st few seconds then pulled away comfortably as we picked up speed.. 5.9 lt V12 £150k supercar got a taste of the mighty M! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
519 Posts
In my C4S all sorts of cars would chanllenged me, but now it seems like it is less with the M car. I think they assume 4dr grandpa car and why they should even bother. A corvette played with me until I pulled into the middle lane on the freeway and as he tried to pass, well, he did not. I slowed down and he looked over with amazement. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone get constantly bugged by the import tuner/ fast n furious crowd? I don't even engage them but they always want a piece. Some of those are damn quick but I typically look to engage with the likes of an r8.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yes. The STIs are the worst followed by the Civics which odd becaude they can't even hold a candle, followed by 335 owners.
P.S. I beat an R8 in the stoplight wars but it was the 4.2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts