BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick review after 5 months of use:

- bought them via knsbrakes.com They sent the correct pads with the wrong clip, you can see the difference in size compared to stock. KNSbrakes rectified this, had Carbotech send me new pads direct to Hong Kong.

- Way less dust, the color of the dust should be lighter as well. Most importantly, stopping power improved. Other than that everything felt similar to stock.

- I have a slight squeak coming front my left front wheel, most likely coming has to with the brake pad, it is very meaty, very close to the rotor. My mechanic should be able to sort it out with some brake quiet grease or a backing shim. Should have nothing to do with bed-in procedure, Carbotech expressly states that isn't necessary for these street pads.

- kinda wish I had painted the exterior metallic parts from red to a black, grey or silver, for cosmetic reasons.

- despite the issues I have with installation, still quite happy with the purchase, it was what I expected. They are quite pricey though compared to other street ceramic pads,

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also run Carbotech 1521 pads on my M5. I have about 15k miles on them and switched from the stock Pagids.

I selected the Carbotech pads after extensive searching for a ceramic pad for low dusting and rotor life that still had reasonable bite. Like most things, you can't have a cheap pad with good bite and low dust so I was ok with the higher price. My initial impressions were that more pedal pressure was required to achieve the same braking force, i.e. lower initial bite but they were easier to modulate (I also have stainless lines). After a few hundred miles the initial bite seemed to improve (this could also be that I might just have gotten used to it).

I did not use any anti-squeal grease on my M5 and the pads have been quiet, I also installed them on my wife's E70 X5M and they were quiet there as well. A friend installed them on his E92 335xi and they squealed rather badly but were easily quieted with some anti-squeal in the channels of the caliper bracket where the pad ears ride. YMMV on noise.

With proper bed-in these pads are very easy on rotors, which is a plus that I didn't really think too much about initially. My M5 gets driven on the weekends rather spiritedly and occasionally to work. After 15k miles, the cross-hatching on the rotor surface from finish machining is still faintly visible, which means the rotor surface has not been worn past that depth. At this rate, these sets of rotors will likely last me several sets of these pads but I haven't needed replacements yet so I can't comment on pad life itself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stock.
way way less dust, better stopping power, similar pedal feel.
I did not experience a decrease in initial bite.
Overall, an upgrade over stock. the only thing I don't like about them is price.

Wonder how 1521s fare against hawk performance and posi quiet

·
Registered
228 Posts
centric posi quiets? are crap. yeah a little too pricey for what I do most of the time unless they have monstrous initial bite vs oem for hwy speeds, ordered a set of ate-will see how they work.
had akebono-meeh, some cheap wbr-meeh same like akebono-great value otherwise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been on the 1521's for a couple of years. I've tried many others as I've owned this car for 17 years. These are the only pads that give stock bite and less dust. Nice smooth braking performance. Nothing to hate on except price, but that's really a non issue as pads last for many years.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have a set of these for my StopTech BBK that I hope to get around to installing some day. When it's time for new pads and rotors on my X5d, I plan to go with the 1521 also. Nice to see positive reports of their use on both my vehicles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update: CRC disc brake quiet and silaramic brake system grease sorted all noise issues
very happy with the pads for everyday street use
low dust. light grey color. Wheels look cleaner.
Dust easy to rinse away with water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts