BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was probably mentioned here before but here it is anyway:

I hated the fact that my car had a long clutch travel and after I installed thicker clutch pedal stop, I had the problem with car not starting due to piston not depressing all the way. On 03 the EWS / cruise switch is integrated with the piston and I've seen some posts where rewiring that sensor resulted in some limited success. Plus, I really prefer not to rewire anything that is connected with EWS.

Than I though about my P.A Soft and sure enough, simple as a pie:

Go to EWS coding data and there is a section with 2 options: US automatic gearbox / clutch (that was default on mine) and Euro manual gearbox option. Switched to Euro manual gearbox, saved the data and voila, car now starts without pressing the clutch pedal.

Obviously, word of caution: You have to make sure car is in neutral and I'm a truck driver so it's second nature to me. So it's definitely not viable option for everybody but just thought to share the info.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Yeah I did this years ago and still have the clutch bypass enabled. I never park in gear so its not an issue for me, but there was ONE time when I had new tires being put on. After the install, they parked the car in their lot and when I went to start it up, I didnt check the gear selector (since I always park in neutral and typically dont check myself) and the car lunged. I was already pretty close to a brick wall, but luckily I managed to stomp the brakes in time to stop the car from slamming into it.

Lesson learned for me to check every time, which I do now. I had the same issue with the clutch stop. It would not start the car with the clutch stop installed. Oddly enough, if I lifted myself up so my weight wasnt on the seat, it would start right up. I dont know if there is some dependency on an occupancy sensor or something, but it would always fire right up if I did this. But in the end, it was easier to enable the clutch bypass.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't tested this, but if you want to keep the safety aspect while still allowing the shorter travel, try setting K_START_SGANG (0x73a4 in the DME for programs 1601 and 1701) to 1. If I'm reading the code correctly, if that's set to 1, the DME won't start the engine unless either the clutch is depressed or the gear lever is in neutral.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I haven't tested this, but if you want to keep the safety aspect while still allowing the shorter travel, try setting K_START_SGANG (0x73a4 in the DME for programs 1601 and 1701) to 1. If I'm reading the code correctly, if that's set to 1, the DME won't start the engine unless either the clutch is depressed or the gear lever is in neutral.
Whoa! So there might be a way to disable starting the car if the gearbox is in gear? That would be wonderful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
SidekickChuck
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing