BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but I wanted to ask anyway. My car has been sitting a good deal over the winter. I had the oil changed at 35,000 and I will getting my next oil and filter done at 40,000. Since the oil change at 35,000 the car only has 38,300 miles so I still have around 1,800 miles to go. Would my car sitting all winter require me to change the oil sooner or should I be okay to my 5k mark? Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but I wanted to ask anyway. My car has been sitting a good deal over the winter. I had the oil changed at 35,000 and I will getting my next oil and filter done at 40,000. Since the oil change at 35,000 the car only has 38,300 miles so I still have around 1,800 miles to go. Would my car sitting all winter require me to change the oil sooner or should I be okay to my 5k mark? Thanks.

You know when it comes to Oil, there is NO Right Answer, well, maybe there are wrong answers, but definitely a lot of preferences and opinions.

ME - I would check the oil and see how it looks. I would wait for the 5K mark. BTW, if you go by the book, isn't it a lot longer than 5K anyway between change? I change mine around half way between the lights, or roughly around 7k or so typically. Remember, the beast burns oil too, so as you add more, you are constantly adding fresh clean oil anyway.

Just my thought and opinion, don't shoot me, but feel free to comment.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
For Oil the key point is proper fill level. Improper quantity is worse than age. Oil age won't be an issue under 5k mi (unless that's all you drive in a year).

Long periods w/o driving would probably impact the car's battery charge and tire inflation. Check those.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Extreme cold can cause additive or wax separation in the oil.

Not saying this has happenned in your sump, not knowing the oil you are using, but for the small price of an oil change, why take the chance?

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Regular oil change intervals are 3K miles or 3 months. I have no idea what the time interval is for synthetic, but I concur with Africa - it is cheap enough to change, why risk it?

d-

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
^^^ Africa and Doug.

Disagree. why not change oil every 1000 miles, or 100 miles? why risk it?

There is so much unnecessary 'maintenance' that is performed because people are told 'why risk it- it is cheap enough insurance.

One year is fine for synthetics.

3k interval is way short- you are wasting oil, UNLESS you have known, identified issues that require shorter changes.

Stick with 5k or 1 year, whichever comes first. (7500 is prolly fine too, but in case you are getting fuel shear the 5000 mile interval is good.)

A

PS "Wax Separation"???? at what temperature does any synthetic oil exhibit this phenomena (not diesel fuel, but synthetic oils)

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Ard - You didn't read my post fully - I said regular oil gets changed at 3 months and 3K, not synthetic :)

Since the OP is even asking the question I believe I can safely assume he did not prepare his car for long (or short) term storage. And that is why I recommended that he change his oil now.

IF he were running the car regularly then I would concur with your 5K intervals - what is the interval I use myself. When vehicles are not run regularly, however, and may not been run enough to get all the water out of the oil before storage, etc, then I believe the oil should be changed upon retrieval from storage.

Doug

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Ard - You didn't read my post fully - I said regular oil gets changed at 3 months and 3K, not synthetic :)

Since the OP is even asking the question I believe I can safely assume he did not prepare his car for long (or short) term storage. And that is why I recommended that he change his oil now.

IF he were running the car regularly then I would concur with your 5K intervals - what is the interval I use myself. When vehicles are not run regularly, however, and may not been run enough to get all the water out of the oil before storage, etc, then I believe the oil should be changed upon retrieval from storage.

Doug
I did. :)

I saw that and just wanted to be clear to the OP that 3/3 is way shorter than necessary

A

PS Would all the water (if there is any) be gone after a warm up and hard run for 30-45 mins? Also, OP said "sitting a good deal" and not "not started".

·
Registered
526 Posts
I run Castrol TWS and only change my oil every 10 000miles, so yes, I think 5000 miles is rather often.

That said, if there is any doubt of contamination, I rather change it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Basically you need to get the engine oil over 212 degrees for a few minutes. I would think 30-45 minutes of accel/decel should do it, but I doubt a 30-45 minutes high speed highway run would (because of increased air flow)...

It's the sitting part that worries me, to be honest because it makes the last thing you did with the car that much more critical. For example, if the last thing was hard run you are probably ok, but if it was a quick trip to the store without reaching temp I'd be concerned...

d-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts