BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right... so im in the middle of nowhere and as i rolled up the check oil level gong came on, went to the boot got my emergency bottle out and realized i had bought Valvoline 10w60 Synthetic Blend Race Oil... is this ok to put in? i know its not ideal but cant imagine it being too disimilar?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
What is your oil consumption? Have you considered driving somewhere else to get your desired oil?

I can't imagine your engine being affected by this but I might push it and get to an area where I could get what I wanted. If I was in this situation and ended up putting it in, I would change the oil as soon as I could. I just don't like mixing oils or most fluids on any of my cars.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Check your oil level using the dipstick. If the level is just a bit low through normal oil consumption but there is still plenty in there, my advice would be to get hold of the oil you normally use absolutely as soon as possible, rather than put the 'wrong' stuff in. In future, I recommend manually checking the oil level with the dipstick at least every couple of days; the oil level warning is calculated, not directly measured and cannot be relied upon.

If you have hardly any oil at all in the car, maybe through putting the oil cap back on incorrectly and it leaking, put the oil you have bought in. The wrong oil is better than no oil.

A dipstick reading and reason that the car is so low on oil will help us give more conclusive advice.

Reactions: josiahg52

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Check your oil level using the dipstick. If the level is just a bit low through normal oil consumption but there is still plenty in there, my advice would be to get hold of the oil you normally use absolutely as soon as possible, rather than put the 'wrong' stuff in. In future, I recommend manually checking the oil level with the dipstick at least every couple of days; the oil level warning is calculated, not directly measured and cannot be relied upon.

If you have hardly any oil at all in the car, maybe through putting the oil cap back on incorrectly and it leaking, put the oil you have bought in. The wrong oil is better than no oil.
A dipstick reading and reason that the car is so low on oil will help us give more conclusive advice.

The essence of the message....
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I was led to believe that mixing grades is more of a sin, if it's the same grade and only a top-up amount, it should be OK, until the weekend, or whenever you can get the usual Edge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts