BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 2003 BMW M5 and have used it as a DD since May 2010 when my 01 540i was swallowed by the floods that consumed the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Nashville</st1:City> <ST1:Sarea on May 1<SUP>st</SUP> 2010. This peaked my interest in the M cars and soon I was searching various car listings to see what was available. I purchased an 88 M5 in 09/10 for $5500 USD and began the necessary repairs so the car could be driven. I bought the car to drive and drive a lot. I’ve heard how fun they are to drive, and that’s what I wanted to find out. I do not know what I spent from September up until the present day, but if I had a gun to my head I would guess the figure was close to the original purchase price. After bringing the car to the local import guy in rural Kentucky, we began the process of looking her over and changing fluids, you all know the basic maintenance that members of car forums seem to find rewarding. An oil leak was far worse than anticipated and decisions were made (thanks to all the members of this board who helped with my questions),

see http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e28-m5-discussion/166356-crack-head.html.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
After it was back together I began the run in process. I really do not know what the correct procedure is and it seems it depends on several points of view. Anyway let’s say oil was used and changed about three times thus far in a span of 3300 miles. It does burn some oil which I would put at maybe 1 liter in 2000 miles. Some of the things I did on the recommendation of my mechanic consisted of the rings, rods, and mains in the bottom end without over sizing or new pistons. The head was redone as explained in another thread, and I estimate about 6K was spent for the whole ball of wax. I think a reasonable figure considering how well it runs. I have had 3300 trouble free miles and the engine seems to get better each time I kick it over. In fact, I can’t seem to get enough of this car! After it warms up it just gets better and tighter the more I drive it. Wish it was like that with women. I replaced many parts I will not list in this note as my purpose for writing this was to share my enthusiasm and experience as it relates to driving the E28 M5.

<o:p></o:p>
I now alternate vehicles as I get the urge to drive one or the other. Both cars see rain and are not just brought out in the sun as I have a 100 mile commute to my office some days and the two cars are my only means of transportation. One day I may do a complete restoration of both M5’s, but today I drive them and enjoy every minute. I really get a great deal of pleasure from driving the E28. Don’t misunderstand me because I also enjoy the E39 but it’s very different and difficult to compare the two. The E39 is newer, less miles @110K compared to 187K, and has many more audio options for long commutes. However, after commuting with the E28 I found a back way from my home to the office that I might not have found if I did not have a car like the E28 that demands you take it on a winding two lane road while keeping the RPM’s above 4K when you can find the road. It’s just amazing how the car feels shifting through the gears as you are planted in the firm and comfortable leather seats. Trying to keep the car below 4K RPM is difficult and means forfeiting a chance at feeling the torque and the biblical sound created by the S38. What about that sound?! I mean how fortunate are we to own one of these machines? I admit there are times I think to myself that I should get this car in a garage and restore it properly (it does have some minor rust that needs attention), but right now I can not give up the excitement I feel when behind the wheel. Even the cruise control is perfect on the car, and you can follow traffic for hours varying your speed with the forefinger and thumb of your right hand. The heat and air are set up just right for my taste. If it is rainy and the fog is starting to cover the windows the upper two levers can be slid to the right which delivers just the right amount of defrost and fresh air preventing one from suffocating in heat and at the same time cleverly clearing the windshield and windows. There are a million little things I like about this car and one reason for writing this was to explain them to people who have been there understand. I won’t bore you will all the things I need to do to the car, it has the 50 MPH shimmy that is just beginning, a power steering leak. And a few others, but I don’t hesitate to hop in and drive on a long trip at a moments notice. Quite frankly, I look for reasons to go to the store and on errands even when I drive 500 plus miles per week. I guess I better get back to work.
Peace,
Curtis

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Its always good to hear a fresh perspective on owning and driving these cars, and I agree that they demand to be driven on a regular basis.

The car looks great in the pictures.....I see you haven't found that distributor cover yet.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Tyson1868

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did take your advice and bought one from Ken (Lucifer's hammer). The problem is it is the top piece which seems to fit into a bottom piece that is prt of the original distributor. My distributor does not have any place for the cover to attach on.

RealOEM.com   BMW E28 M5 IGNITION WIRING/SPARK PLUG/DISTRIB.C..

I have #21 but I do not have the bottom piece???

Curtis

·
Registered
483 Posts
Excellent piece. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

It's sometimes difficult for people to understand how these cars can get under your skin. That matters little though. As long as your having fun that is all that counts.

Car looks great in the pictures by the way.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great piece man, I can totally relate! These cars/engines really get under your skin. I get a lot of weird looks/reactions to using my M635CSi as my daily driver (and having spent more on it than a new Bimmer), but they are so worth it! A lot of my driving is not long enough to really extend the engine (I warm it up religiously), but a couple of times a week I can, and boy, just never fails to produce that stupid grin on your face :D And even so, I try to find excuses to make an extra detour where possible...

I'm glad you are enjoying your M5 so much! That's what they are for!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I did take your advice and bought one from Ken (Lucifer's hammer). The problem is it is the top piece which seems to fit into a bottom piece that is prt of the original distributor. My distributor does not have any place for the cover to attach on.

RealOEM.com * BMW E28 M5 IGNITION WIRING/SPARK PLUG/DISTRIB.C..

I have #21 but I do not have the bottom piece???

Curtis
The distributor cap assy is common to several engines including the M30, so getting hold of an old worn cap which still has the lower cover on it would be a good economical option.
From memory, the lower cover is removable via the captive screws - you just have to completely unwind them out of the distributor cap block, to free the cover.

Reactions: Tyson1868
1 - 7 of 7 Posts