BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

So I can't tell what this light means, i think i have a phone in the car but I don't know.

There is a orange light at the top right of this pic right above the phone button.. does this mean that i have phone but its not connected. Every time the car turns on that light blinks a few times, to me it looks like its looking for a phone. But i could be completely wrong. I have see other pic of the Nav and that light is never on. (thus the confusion)!!!!

If anyone can help and let me know what that light means? and do i or do i not have a phone option in my car....

If I don't have a phone, what blue-tooth phone option would you recommend ????

thanks

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I can't see if that's the red or orange light.

The meaning of the lights is :

Red Continuous - No Signal
Red Flashing - Emergency calls only (alternate network).
Orange (Continuous or Flashing) - Roaming - Calls possible but at extra charge, alternate Network selected when overseas etc.
Green - In use

·
Registered
595 Posts
Slightly off topic but phone related,...when i bought my car it has a phone in the armrest (nokia ???).It has a Vodaphone card in it,but disconnected from network.I bought a pay as you go Vodaphone sim card put it in and still nothing,(I think it said unable to connect),Any ideas???

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a factory built-in Timeport phone that is just occupying the armrest now.
No more analog phone... what a crock of $h!+ conspiracy...
Anyway, before the era of Bluetooth, these phones were pre-programed to the car and you can't use any other phone.
And for the iPhone 4 that I have, I'm using an earpiece for the time being...

So my next question is, which Bluetooth option do I go with?
Bimmernav's OEM option is very stealth and factory look and retains the use of CDC in trunk, but no Audio support.
Hualingan and Dynavin seem to be less than perfectly integrated with our DSP system for now.
Pioneeer or other third party units look out of place even with the custom faceplate around them.
BSW's mediabridge uses CD input so if you forget your iPhone, there would be no music other than radio.
I might as well go for one of them Garmin units with Bluetooth, but they have to be mounted to windshield...
I'll just pray the Huallingan or Dynavin will work out the kinks so we have an integrated system.
What say you guys?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I prefer the OEM option (Bimmernav being one possible source).

If you are using an iPhone, you can always connect it up for music in addition to being connected via bluetooth for phone purposes.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Slightly off topic but phone related,...when i bought my car it has a phone in the armrest (nokia ???).It has a Vodaphone card in it,but disconnected from network.I bought a pay as you go Vodaphone sim card put it in and still nothing,(I think it said unable to connect),Any ideas???
I don't think this is uncommon, but I've never heard of a simple fix.

Do you get any specific messages when you try and use the phone, like "Insert SIM card" or does it just not work?

·
Registered
595 Posts

Do you get any specific messages when you try and use the phone, like "Insert SIM card" or does it just not work?
I,ll check it out later and report back messages etc.Its not the end of the world to me but I like things working if possible and viable.
Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
595 Posts

With the old sim in the phone says NO SERVICE which I understand as I have no contract etc but with the new pay as you go sim in it just says
SIM CARD REJECTED.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It's possible that the phone does not support the higher capacity SIM cards, old SIM cards only had enough space for something like 200 contacts, newer ones have higher capacity. As you have the original SIM it's probably worth going to a Vodafone shop and getting them to transfer the PAYG number from the new SIM to the old one. Unless the old SIM has been locked out, this should be possible.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's possible that the phone does not support the higher capacity SIM cards, old SIM cards only had enough space for something like 200 contacts, newer ones have higher capacity. As you have the original SIM it's probably worth going to a Vodafone shop and getting them to transfer the PAYG number from the new SIM to the old one. Unless the old SIM has been locked out, this should be possible.
Thanks Richard.I;ll try that out over the xmas period and see what happens!

·
Registered
595 Posts
If this all doesnt work is there a way of getting my Blackberry to work via the controls in the car?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I think most, if not all Blackberrys work with the BMW Bluetooth module. Swapping out an older phone system for the Bluetooth kit is not too hard, you can utilise quite a lot of the wiring and the microphone, although the microphone is best upgraded.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i have an antenna on the back glass, that is wired to something i dont know.

I will look in my trunk to see if i have a blue-tooth connection.

thanks for the help... will go and take a pic of the trunk and post it here.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I think most, if not all Blackberrys work with the BMW Bluetooth module. Swapping out an older phone system for the Bluetooth kit is not too hard, you can utilise quite a lot of the wiring and the microphone, although the microphone is best upgraded.

Yes they do. The volume issue is also BB firmware dependent.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oK, i took some pic of the trunk.

let me know what i'm looking for.

thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there a phone in the center console? I dont believe you've stated.

Sorry no there is not. no button in the middle of the armrest.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts