BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon Board-

I can't get the **** fog light cover off to change the bulb:mad: !!

The manual says just to pull and then use the screwdriver. Ain't working. Tried a search..no avail. The only other way is to pull the lower cover off and I don't wanna do that.:crying2:

HELP!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're talking about just the black cover, it's held in place by a few clips. You might have to pull harder than you think.

Don't worry, it shouldn't break. Mine took alot of force to get off as well, and it was a pain, but once you get the right feel for it, taking off the cover should be much easier. Then just use an 8mm socket wrench to remove the screw holding the actual housing in place and it just slides out easily.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Amir M5-

Once I got over the fear of breaking it, came right off. Man, though, they sure are pitted. Any idea about replacement cost or an alternative source?

Thanks for your time!

KCD

Amir M5 said:
If you're talking about just the black cover, it's held in place by a few clips. You might have to pull harder than you think.

Don't worry, it shouldn't break. Mine took alot of force to get off as well, and it was a pain, but once you get the right feel for it, taking off the cover should be much easier. Then just use an 8mm socket wrench to remove the screw holding the actual housing in place and it just slides out easily.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not a problem at all, I went through the same thing the first time I had to remove mine.

I wondered the same thing about replacement and when I inquired at the dealer found them to be about $15 a piece (while the replacement for the e46 M3 was about $3, it's almost the same, just different enough not to fit).

As an alternative I've seen some before that have a hole next to the foglight that can be used for brake ducts or CAI. The ones I have seen have to be painted to body color and were around $150 on eBay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts