BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Sorry for what is likely a super simple question, but what does the error "Oil Level Sensor - Check Owner's Manual" mean for my 1990 M5? I have gotten the check oil level error, so i know its not the engine oil level. is it saying the sensor that checks the oil level (or its wiring) has calved? my owner's manual is in german, so basically useless to an ignoramious like me. So, is it refering to that sensor, and if not, which sensor is it refering to? I know how to do sensors, thats super easy, i am a little more hesitate to touch wires, how long is this wire relay, where does it go, is it likely to be wire or sensor. Tragically this car is 20 yrs old and just wasnt driven enough, so it seems like everything is brittle and failing under me driving it more then it is used to (harder as well, i am sure). 125,000 km on her.

thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Sounds like the engine oil level sensor that is situated in the sump of your engine may be faulty .

See part#9 in this diagram :

D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both: i will check the battery first, then act accordingly. I saw that a battery had been a culprit for similar issues in the past, but this is a fairly new battery (or so it looks), a simple test will yeild the answer there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to delay on updating this: took a wicked drive through the mountains to go skiing, the result was a battery needing a nice charge up. Havent had the error since. thanks again for the input!

Unfortunately, someone (not me) thought it was a good idea to cheap out on washer fluid last time i got it serviced, so the summer stuff froze and now my OBC is cliaming washer fluid level is low and has stopped pumping. I think i will just take it to the shop this time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
$10 says it is the fuse for the washer pump. Mine froze up this winter and the first time I tried to use it - it blew the fuse out due to the pressure created from trying to pump ice. Don't know why it would say the level is low, however, unless you are actually low or the sensor went bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts