BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right!

Not only the problems with my M5, but tonight my 535i sport auto has gone and let me down!

I had just been driving, stopped for about an hour, went to start the car and nothing happened. All lights light up, all dial needles flick to the correct position, no error read out from OBC, and all lights light as should - but when turning the key, its absolutely dead. You don't even hear the starter motor at all. Its definitely not the battery.......

I've had to abandon the car as I was in a hurry tonight, but if its just a fuse or something, perhaps i can go armed and ready to pick it up tomorrow!

Anyone know what it might be?

cheers!

illz

·
Registered
246 Posts
How about a jammed starter motor.

Put it in 5th gear rock the car back and forth and try again.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
400 Posts
illjah said:
Right!

Not only the problems with my M5, but tonight my 535i sport auto has gone and let me down!

I had just been driving, stopped for about an hour, went to start the car and nothing happened. All lights light up, all dial needles flick to the correct position, no error read out from OBC, and all lights light as should - but when turning the key, its absolutely dead. You don't even hear the starter motor at all. Its definitely not the battery.......

I've had to abandon the car as I was in a hurry tonight, but if its just a fuse or something, perhaps i can go armed and ready to pick it up tomorrow!

Anyone know what it might be?

cheers!

illz
My money is on the inhibitor switch, the car will not start untill the car thinks it's in Park or Neutral, if the swith fails the car will not start, also the cable between the transmision lever and the gearbox could of failed and the car is still in drive but the lever is in park.

BobZ

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hi illz

I had this problem 3 years ago and it turned out to be the battery :confused2

I would pop to a shop for as little as 10 mins come back and the car would not turn over, tried the rocking trick and still nothing, after about 20 mins she would turnover and start,i had a new battery fitted so thought it was the starter motor, put a new starter in still this occurred, put a new battery in and problem dissapeared :p :p :p

However a couple of weeks ago the same thing happened but i noticed i had her left in gear with the handbrake off(main car 740i auto) and again after 20 mins she started.I checked the battery and it needed a charge so this has been done and she works like a dream :flag: :flag:

Hope this helps

·
Registered
183 Posts
Had it happen on mine, but rather than packing up instantly mine became progressively worse and eventually nothing!

Turned out to be a relay that lived by the ECU IIRC - I swapped it for another one and all was fine - don't know if it was the relay or a poor connection

·
Registered
73 Posts
bobz said:
My money is on the inhibitor switch, the car will not start untill the car thinks it's in Park or Neutral, if the swith fails the car will not start, also the cable between the transmision lever and the gearbox could of failed and the car is still in drive but the lever is in park.

BobZ
i agree with bobz on this one if it is in fact an automatic. had the same prob on a 735i but it turned out to be a broken trans linkage.
shawn

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Inhibitor switch is probably a good bet. It has done this to me about once or twice before, quiet a while ago, but after moving from park - drive - park again, sorted it out. This time tho, it won't respond regardless. Is this something that I can easily get to? Only the car is stuck at a friends house, on a gravel drive (so not easy to jack up) and I don't fancy paying to get it towed if i can avoid it!

The battery 'phantom' problem suggested by Steve Mac earlier could be a culpret as well as the car has been sat relatively unused since getting the M5 8 weeks back - but it had been run for at least 3-4 days, and had been running fine before doing this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts