BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at this: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43557 and while the results were no doubt phenomenal, the process is rather daunting. I don't have the time nor the patience to do all of that.

My only objective is to get rid of swirl marks and give the M5 a nice coat of wax.

I was going to get the detailer to do this, but if you can suggest a quick method, I might try it myself.

I was thinking to wash the car, do a swirl remover step, then do a coat of wax over that.

What else should I do? Can you make a suggestion that's quick and has worked for you? I don't need perfection, but I do want get rid of some swirls (I have a ton) and give the paint a nice shiny coat of wax.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
I was looking at this: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43557 and while the results were no doubt phenomenal, the process is rather daunting. I don't have the time nor the patience to do all of that.

My only objective is to get rid of swirl marks and give the M5 a nice coat of wax.

I was going to get the detailer to do this, but if you can suggest a quick method, I might try it myself.

I was thinking to wash the car, do a swirl remover step, then do a coat of wax over that.

What else should I do? Can you make a suggestion that's quick and has worked for you? I don't need perfection, but I do want get rid of some swirls (I have a ton) and give the paint a nice shiny coat of wax.

Thanks!!!
In order to get rid of swirls you will need to buy a Porter Cable random orbital polisher. It is nearly imposible to do it by hand. Hear is what I do when first detailing my car:

1. Wash with dawn soap. (removes any left over wax)

2. Clay bar. (makes the surface like glass)

3. Quick re-wash.

4. Apply Einzet Paint Polish with Porter Cable and a yellow pad. Buff off with Micro Fiber towels.

5. Apply Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleaner (S100 same as P21S but half the cost)

6. Apply wax of choice. S100 carnuba looks amazing but does not last in the Florida heat so my next choice is a synthetic; Einzet Glanz Wax.

This is the initial detail. After this is done. I wash with a mild car wash soap and use a quick detail product to keep the shine. Over time the car will loose some shine so I just wash with dawn and go right into the GEPC and then wax.

Sorry but there is no "quick" way to get rid of swirls. Go to this website and ccheck out all the products then call and speak to Nick and tell him what you are trying to do. He will find the best products and routine for you.
http://www.detailersparadise.com/Splash.asp

Regards,

Jordan

·
Registered
463 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
I'd find the best detailer in your area and have it done professionally. Don't skimp and tell them what you want to accomplish.

After it's done and looks perfect, you can concentrate on maintaining that level of finish. Careful washing, "quick detailer" products, and periodic reapplications of wax. This is not too time consuming or difficult -- I actually find my weekend ritual a little therapeutic after a long week.

BTW, I may get into trouble for saying this, but Griots is the Dinan of car products. Well, maybe not a perfect analogy, put close. There are other, less widely known and marketed products, like Zaino, that work better for some applications. You'll need to pick and chose to find the best products.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
jordantii said:
In order to get rid of swirls you will need to buy a Porter Cable random orbital polisher. It is nearly imposible to do it by hand. Hear is what I do when first detailing my car:

1. Wash with dawn soap. (removes any left over wax)

2. Clay bar. (makes the surface like glass)

3. Quick re-wash.

4. Apply Einzet Paint Polish with Porter Cable and a yellow pad. Buff off with Micro Fiber towels.

5. Apply Gloss Enhancing Paint Cleaner (S100 same as P21S but half the cost)

6. Apply wax of choice. S100 carnuba looks amazing but does not last in the Florida heat so my next choice is a synthetic; Einzet Glanz Wax.

This is the initial detail. After this is done. I wash with a mild car wash soap and use a quick detail product to keep the shine. Over time the car will loose some shine so I just wash with dawn and go right into the GEPC and then wax.

Sorry but there is no "quick" way to get rid of swirls. Go to this website and ccheck out all the products then call and speak to Nick and tell him what you are trying to do. He will find the best products and routine for you.
http://www.detailersparadise.com/Splash.asp

Regards,

Jordan
Jordan,

If this is the easy version, I would like to hear about the extended detail job! I think I am going to invite you over for my next detailing. Great work, but it looks like a weeks worth of work.

Mark

·
Registered
244 Posts
MAH said:
Jordan,

If this is the easy version, I would like to hear about the extended detail job! I think I am going to invite you over for my next detailing. Great work, but it looks like a weeks worth of work.

Mark
This is the medium version. A full detail depends on the condition of the paint. I am assuming that the overall condition of the paint on your cars (M5's) are generally pretty good. The complete detail is usually 2 days on my car (1988 M3) But once it is done I can usually do a detail in about 4 hours. The key to the job is the Porter Cable polisher. Makes the application of the polishes and cleaners very easy. I always apply wax by hand. This conserves the product. It would be wasteful to apply wax with the Porter.

There are many many subtleties to detailing. Different pads to use depending on the cutting power you want, different polishes and waxes combined with the different pads and speed settings of the Porter can give a wide variety of results.

There is a great message forum on Road Fly for detailing. Not your typical Road Fly forum. Great information and detailing super freaks.

If you are in the area come on over and we can detail. Plenty of room in my 4 car garage!!!!

Jordan

·
Registered
244 Posts
EdP said:
I'd find the best detailer in your area and have it done professionally. Don't skimp and tell them what you want to accomplish.

After it's done and looks perfect, you can concentrate on maintaining that level of finish. Careful washing, "quick detailer" products, and periodic reapplications of wax. This is not too time consuming or difficult -- I actually find my weekend ritual a little therapeutic after a long week.

BTW, I may get into trouble for saying this, but Griots is the Dinan of car products. Well, maybe not a perfect analogy, put close. There are other, less widely known and marketed products, like Zaino, that work better for some applications. You'll need to pick and chose to find the best products.
Good point about Griots. Zaino is fantastic but is very time consuming due to it being a multi step process and the more layers you apply the better the results, but the results are worth it and it lasts the longest. Carnuba still looks the best no matter what. And on top of Zaino you will need to wear sunglasses to shield the shine. The best over all that I have found is Einzet products. Easy to apply and last almost as long as Zaino.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, but this sounds like the best approach. I'm gonna do that.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had good results using Meguire's Scratch X, followed by Deep Crystal Polish and finished with NXT wax.

Very easy to apply and remove, and not expensive. I'd say give it a try and see if you are happy with the results. I was.

Cheers.

PS-My M5 is "Swirl Enhancer" Jet Black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts