BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the car has been here a week and starting the mods.
- Eibach springs
- H&R spacers (12mm front, 10mm or 12mm on the rear).
- RAD bolts/wheel locks
- OEM wheels

Questions:
1) rear spacer: I've read literally every spacer thread since 2005 and it seems there is varying consensus on whether a 12mm spacer with rub in the rear. Seems to depend on what springs, tires and # of people you ride with. In my case (eibachs, contis and occasionally have 4 people in car), can anyone confirm this setup will/will not rub?

2) lug bolt/wheel locks: how much room for error is there in lug bolt sizes? If I do have to go with 10mm in the rear, I would still want to use one set of bolts/locks to make my life easier. Is there a risk that these 36mm wheel locks and these 39mm lug bolts are too long for a 10mm spacer in rear? I think they would both be fine for a 12mm.

thanks.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I would suggest 12mm rear and 10mm front. Rear is not a problem with 12's, however you might rub in the front with them. I have 12mm all around and initially I was getting slight rubbing in the front, but it seems my tires created the space in the fender wall it needed, so no more rubbing ( even under tracking conditions )

12mm on the rears would look awesome.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
i had 12mm H&R spacers all around on stock wheels lowered on eibachs. No issues at all!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys. Went with 12mm all around. Crossing my fingers that I won't have any rubbing.

Just finished shopping spree at IND (painted reflectors), tirerack (springs), jlevi (spacers, black front+side grills) and RAD (bolts, locks).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Aftermarket springs only affect the ride height. They don't change the amount of suspension travel. Rubbing occurs independent spring type. Tire size and wheel offset are the variables.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Aftermarket springs only affect the ride height. They don't change the amount of suspension travel. Rubbing occurs independent spring type. Tire size and wheel offset are the variables.
Actually, they do. That's why stock shocks get affected when ride height is changed. Also, note that lowering the ride can also change camber settings!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Actually, they do. That's why stock shocks get affected when ride height is changed. Also, note that lowering the ride can also change camber settings!
Why Lowering Springs May Ruin Your M3 - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

Why (Aggressive) Lowering Springs May Ruin Your M3, Part II - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

White Paper: Lowering Springs and Bump Stops, Take Three - BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

i (and others) disagree...lowering springs do not affect the amount of suspension travel...you just get to your bump stops easier...which is why your shocks wear out faster...agree that lowering does affect your alignment...which is why it needs checked after springs are installed

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
That's strange! I was under the impression that lowering springs reduce the amount of suspension travel!
We could be saying the same thing, but I'm sure suspension travel is reduced with shorter springs.

How does lowering a car affect suspension travel?

**EDIT**

I got what you mean now! YES! The compression is already there with lowering springs. Hence why the total travel of the suspension does not change, but the relative "balance" travel does.

Same thing, I was just looking at it from a different angle of the spectrum.

·
Registered
719 Posts
i had 12mm H&R spacers all around on stock wheels lowered on eibachs. No issues at all!

Hello im pretty new to M5 board but i had a question for you. What size spacers should i run if i stock wheels with stock suspension???? I want to make it look a little more aggressive. What would recommend for my setup? I appreciate your time

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hello im pretty new to M5 board but i had a question for you. What size spacers should i run if i stock wheels with stock suspension???? I want to make it look a little more aggressive. What would recommend for my setup? I appreciate your time
I have stock suspension with 12mm H&R spacers all around, and the fronts look good but rears aren't aggressive enough for me.

Front before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Gotcha! Thanks for the FAST repy man! I see what you are saying.... So maybe 12mm upfront and 15mm in the rears huh??? Have you experienced any rubbing at all? I'm assuming no since its not lowered

·
Registered
719 Posts
Rear before and after. I think 15mm would be a better choice.

Gotcha! Thanks for the FAST repy man! I see what you are saying.... So maybe 12mm upfront and 15mm in the rears huh??? Have you experienced any rubbing at all? I'm assuming no since its not lowered

·
Registered
719 Posts
Rear before and after. I think 15mm would be a better choice.
I read somewhere that a IDEAL setup for stock wheels and stock suspension is 12mm up front and 20mm in the rear... I wonder if anyone else tried this setup and if so did it cause any rubbing issues especially when you drive in M sport mode since it lowers the car a bit for a stiffer ride. What are your thoughts? Since you installed that 12mm in the rear do you think the 20mm is OVERKILL or prob would be just right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think 20mm in the rear might poke out a bit. I haven't experienced any issues with tire rubbing in M mode by running 12mm all around.
Make sure you get the correct bolt sizes for the spacers.

I believe oem stock bolts are 27mm long, so add your spacer size to this to get the correct bolt size.

Since I'm running 12mm all around, I went with 40mm bolts. I bought Mevius bolts in black. Wheelmate Products Mevius Lug Bolts; Cone Style Seat; Set of 20 UNIVERSAL

·
Registered
267 Posts
(For stock suspension) I also think 15mm in front and 20mm rear if you want aggressive look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts