BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Someone once posted a method of removing the ugly red/yellow/white sticker from the visor without damaging the visor - does anyone have that info?

2) The manual says that using the key keeps the battery charged. Yet the key is a solid piece of metal - i.e, no plus and minus poles. How the heck do you charge a battery with a single lead?

P.S. - Checked my tire pressures -the dealer had set it up 34lbs all around!!! I reset to 39/46. I don't think the prep guys know what an M5 is.....

G

·
0 Posts
Greg,

Why did you use 39/46? I thought the recommended pressures were 42/48 although my car also came with 34lbs all around. The harder pressures will certainly help protect those beautiful rims from pot holes (I lost two wheels on my M3 to pot holes).

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought, based upon the sticker on the driver's door, this was the recommended pressure; that 42/48 was max for max vehicle weight. Did I misinterpret? (I'll look again.) I was so damn excited to have the car, I didn't spend as much time as I should have on this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I removed the ugly stickers with acetone on a towel. Others on the MB said should ruin the material, but I tested it first and it did zero damage. I recommend 35/38 for better ride and handling.

G

·
0 Posts
35/39 (better to keep the same delta) will give you a better ride and handling and I'll move to this once they've fixed some of the roads around here ... the winter's taken its toll and I fear for my rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greg,

They M5 don't charge the car's battery...the car's battery charges the tiny rechargeable battery in the key. That's why the manual says that "using the key charges the battery..." They're talking about the battery in the key.

Robert

·
Registered
15 Posts
Greg,

Sorry about that. I just re-read your post. Forget my bizarre reply about the car's battery... Whooops.

Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just removed mine and those on my wife's Prowler with "Goof Off". It is sold at hardware stores. It is great stuff.
It took 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Greg-------------->Bring Back Memories...

Here is an old post, and now I'm curious if there is a way to remove those anoying stickers? :cheers: :thumbsup: :haha: :cool2:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hah! What a riot! 50,000 miles, 4 sets of tires and a whole lotta fun since then - wow - what an old post.

I can say that I now run my tires at about 35/38 - car rides AND handles WAY better. In the Porsche I use 33/35 - also WAY under factory recommendations. Better ride, better handling, no adverse/uneven wear.

But I still haven't gotten around to those **** stickers.....

:)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Need4Spd----------------->Thank you my good man the instructions were very informative... tomorrow they are gone!!hmmm hiha

·
Registered
309 Posts
Charging is likely by induction -- my cordless toothbrush works the same way -- it sits in a holder and the alternating current in a coil in the holder induces a corresponding a/c in a coil in the toothbrush.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
High mileage tangient

greg said:
Hah! What a riot! 50,000 miles, 4 sets of tires and a whole lotta fun since then - wow - what an old post.
Greg-

If I recall, you were one of the group of folks that first gave the Kumho's a shot. Given that you're on your fourth set of tires, what's your long-term verdict on the lifecycle cost-benefit?

I started off witht the Dunlops as OE, then switched to Pilot Sports. I've been extremely happy with them, particularly since I bought two sets of rears for $344/pr thru the Tire Rack Viper OE deal. I've been able to get 25K+ miles per set of four, I think b/c I use a dedicated track setup for really aggressive driving AND my dual-mass flywheel is likey shot so I don't break traction very much at all any more.

TIA for the update. It's fun to peek back into time!
-Dave

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
thompsw said:
Charging is likely by induction -- my cordless toothbrush works the same way -- it sits in a holder and the alternating current in a coil in the holder induces a corresponding a/c in a coil in the toothbrush.
I agree with Thompsw on key charging. It's likely done through inductive coils in both the steering column and the key. I wonder if there's a way to measure it to be sure...hmmm hmmm

Have other people tried "Goof-Off" on their visors?? I'm a bit leery about destroying the material, but want the stickers GONE...

Thx.

:cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
Wait a second, so you guys dont like the "Warning death" stickers? :hihi: It's too bad that I had to look at those for 3 years, and only now do I find a DIY for removal.
I agree with the inductance for charging the key. As you said Greg, there is no ground, but by setting magnetic lines of flux over the coil in the key, a current can be induced and stored. Good luck getting the mutilated baby picture off the sun visors! :cheers:

·
Registered
797 Posts
"Battery"

I believe that the "battery" in the M5 key is not really a electrochemical battery, but an ultra-capacitor that holds charge. The circuit in the system is so efficient that it doesn't drain charge from the ultra cap very quickly. Total power consumption a device like this is probably no more than 10 mW when you press one of the buttons. When the key is inserted, power to the ID circuit probably comes from the same circuit that inductively charges the ultracap. All of this is possible because of ultra low voltage digital and RF electronics.

Just my $0.02 :cheers:

Jeff

PS...the metallic part of the key is also the antenna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts