BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude, I'll try to help with what I can. (Rest of you guys pipe in any time)
>I have a March 2000 delivered UK M5. I >ordered all the options available, almost >£14k's worth but some of them I am not sure >what they actually provide.
>Comfort windscreen? I have had to have the >original replaced due to warping and the >replacement is just the same, but what is >it supposed to do different from the >standard windscreen?
Dont know what this is.

>Double glazing? Is it supposed to make the >car quieter, I can't tell the difference >between the standard car?
Another poser (riddle). Think they are talking about the tinting of the windows.

>Full leather? not sure it's been worth it.
Better than Extended Leather. I wish now I had ordered it.

>DSP Sound system? never used it.
Probably never will. BMW could have done better here.

>TV? picture is un-watchable and teletext >useless.
I have the same problem, but not the option. (U.S.)

>Load through on rear seats? this was the >worst choice as it allows the car to flex >and has been back several times to try and >solve the creaking.
This will answer this and a lower question. Dinan has Strut bars for both the front and rear. I have seen them on one vehicle that has been shown here on the board. This should be a tremendous help especially for those with the rear pass-through.

>Also, has anyone had problems with the >clutch? I am on my second after just over >5,000 miles! The dealer said it was >completley burnt around the edges.
This seems to be a sporadic problem. (Please dont take the following personally) Most that (I) have heard of can be attributed to driving style and break-in. From what I understand, you need to go very easy on these clutches for the first 1200 miles. Making sure the clutch is fully engaged (before) giving full throttle. This may not apply to you at all, but, it is something to think about.

>Tyres how long are they lasting you?
>Why are some people on Dunlops and others >on Michelins? Which are better?
I've got 9000 miles on the Dunlops. I can't wait to burn the rest of the tread off so I can change. Michelins have the better reputation, ride amd handling as far as I'm concerned. BMW has made these standard equipment on U.S. models.

>How does the tyre sensors work, as mine >keeps saying in-active?
Owner's manuel has an in-depth procedure for setting this active. This should have been done at delivery by your dealership.

>Has anyone fitted the schnitzer brace bar >over the engine?
>Can I get one for the rear to help stop the >body flex?
See above question about rear folding seat.

>Can anyone help?
We will all try. Take each comment "with a grain of salt" and think about it. With a little research, you will find all the answers you need to back up any real life experiences posted here.

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info Mark.

Where do I get the Dinan struts from, I have family in Detroit would I be able to get them there? Who is Dinan as I have never heard of them in this part of the world?

Also I noticed from your web page that you have a new paint job, why, and what colour is it?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a run in with a gravel truck! Our country has a problem with trucks and unsecured loads. Paint color is Jet Black. I just restored it to original.
Following is the link direct to the Dinan web site: http://www.dinanbmw.com/
They should be able to answer any other questions you may have and may be able to direct ship. I don't know that they have these parts listed yet, so you may need to call them direct.
Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a March 2000 delivered UK M5. I ordered all the options available, almost £14k's worth but some of them I am not sure what they actually provide.
Comfort windscreen? I have had to have the original replaced due to warping and the replacement is just the same, but what is it supposed to do different from the standard windscreen?
Double glazing? Is it supposed to make the car quieter, I can't tell the difference between the standard car?
Full leather? not sure it's been worth it.
DSP Sound system? never used it.
TV? picture is un-watchable and teletext useless.
Load through on rear seats? this was the worst choice as it allows the car to flex and has been back several times to try and solve the creaking.

Also, has anyone had problems with the clutch? I am on my second after just over 5,000 miles! The dealer said it was completley burnt around the edges.
Tyres how long are they lasting you?
Why are some people on Dunlops and others on Michelins? Which are better?
How does the tyre sensors work, as mine keeps saying in-active?
Has anyone fitted the schnitzer brace bar over the engine?
Can I get one for the rear to help stop the body flex?
Can anyone help?
Oliver Mark Cortney (London) Avus Blue/Le-Mans/Titanium

1 - 4 of 4 Posts