BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up my 2000 M5 (6/00) build, CPO 40500 miles.

There are a few things I have noticed so far:

1. my rear cup holders are complete garbage and I think I broke them both already......should that be covered under CPO?

2. I used my PEAKE code reader and pulled a few codes:
"thermal oil level sensor:
"Filler cap"
"After cat 02 sensor aging (cyl #1-3)
are these all CPO issues. There are no CEL lights on my dash....just these codes stuck in the system. The car seems to be running fine...i wouldn't have know otherwise.

3. I hope the alcantara roof was an option.....if not something is screwy with my car because I don't have it.

4. is there an update for the cd based nav? or is my only option to update to the larger screen (dvd based)?

Thanks for any help with these issue.....I will post pictures after I clean her up. I put on 900 miles in 2 days....and I have never had a larger smile on my face.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" M! I don't have much info about the earlier models, so I'll let others answer. I just want to welcome you! (And if you think the rear cup holders are bad, the front ones aren't much better!)

Regarding your name... 3rd one what?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stickman said:
Regarding your name... 3rd one what?
a few year ago on another message board I had a ton of trouble logging on. one of the moderators gave me the "3rd one" title for having to change my log on 3 times in one day........

sorry for the boring story

·
Registered
554 Posts
3rd One said:
a few year ago on another message board I had a ton of trouble logging on. one of the moderators gave me the "3rd one" title for having to change my log on 3 times in one day........

sorry for the boring story
Don't apologize. He asked for it! :1:

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can't help you with the warranty - although rear cup holders were garbage in 2000's, not even installed on 2003 so BMW simply conceded the point. If they stay closed just leave them that way.

The roof liner was an option.

3rd One said:

1. my rear cup holders are complete garbage and I think I broke them both already......should that be covered under CPO?

"Filler cap"
are these all CPO issues. There are no CEL lights on my dash....just these codes stuck in the system. The car seems to be running fine...i wouldn't have know otherwise.

3. I hope the alcantara roof was an option.....if not something is screwy with my car because I don't have it.

4. is there an update for the cd based nav? or is my only option to update to the larger screen (dvd based)?

Thanks for any help with these issue.....I will post pictures after I clean her up. I put on 900 miles in 2 days....and I have never had a larger smile on my face.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
3rd One said:

"Filler cap"
are these all CPO issues. There are no CEL lights on my dash....just these codes stuck in the system. The car seems to be running fine...i wouldn't have know otherwise..
M5#3
Welcome...I have a MY03 so I am missing the cup holders and don't use the front ones either. Living in Germany, I can see why they aren't high on the priority list. hmmm

With regard to the PEAKE code reader…
I had a SES light activate but could not get my car into the dealer to check and/or reset the light. (Computer busy doing scheduled delivery checks at the time).
M5 Meister checked for possible problem through hidden menu and said it was the gas cap “Filler cap? Nothing he or I did would reset the SES and he told me it would be several weeks before they could get it on the computer.

I bought a PEAKE code reader but the code detected by it did not correspond to earlier suggestion by service manager. I noted that the book that accompanied the code reader caution about making part changes or other actions based simply on the codes being generated since the PEAKE data may not match BMW data for every year.

So it might first require you to discuss these with the service manager and to see if they can check independently to verify the codes you found. Will probably cost you a service charge.
If they are correct you should next discuss if they warrant warranty action or if these will simply be noted.
You mentioned that they don’t appear to affect your car. If they do not and you are happy, I would leave it alone after checking with the dealer. Sometimes mechanics mess up more than they correct.
my euro's worth.
Ken

·
Registered
184 Posts
Alcantara became standard at some point - '01 perhaps.

Regarding the nav, do you mean software, hardware or maps? All three have had many updates. Also, only the '03 navs are dvd - the '01 and '02 widescreen navs are cd. Check out bimmernav.com for more info.

·
10,458 Posts
most of what you mention should be covered under cpo. Since you have fault codes, you could always say you had an SES light on for a few days, rather than say you just have fault codes.

As for the nav, there are several updates available. First is software, go to www.x5world.com (might be .org) and search thru their 'nav' section, you can learn which version software you have and if it's fully up to date. Second like you mention is the widescreene nav, that is easy plug and play. Third is the nav computer itself. THe latest and greatest is the mk dvd nav, but you would notice a nice improvement in nav performance with a mk3 (from 01-02) that you could probably find from someone who updated to mk 4. IF you really use your nav, mk4 is the way to go, and it allows for future upgrades to sirius sat radio.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts