BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at a 91 3.6 US spec M5 with about 120k. The guy told me that it dyno'd at about 290 rwhp, but that seems pretty high doesnt it? It only has a powerchip, high flow cat, and eisenmann exhaust. I recently read of someone with a 3.8 with a chip and intake and they made less than that? Also other than the usual stuff (clutch, brakes, etc.) is there anything else I should ask him about particularly?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? anything else particularly i should ask on a 91 3.6 with about 120k?

The more i look at e36 M3's and e34 M5's, I really realize how much more unique and cool the M5 is. Ebay for example right now has 12 1995 M3's, but 0 e34 M5's. I mean I know the M3 would be less trouble to maintain, but the M5 really is in a class of its own.

E30 m3's seem to be gaining value and can be worth quite a bit it seems. I wonder if these older M5's will start gaining value because of their rarity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I love the e34 m5 man. Especially here in north america, it's not really a car many people could identify. It's good **** to have someone pull up to you in their Integra, or their Expedition or whichever thinkin they're all quick :)
I guess the average north american hasnt experienced m power?:M5launch: :byee55amg

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi!!
There is a number of threads concerning this on the board, use the search.
Otherwise the bmwe34m5.com faqs have quite comprehensive list over things to look at.
http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/?theme=1&level=3&chapitre_id_select=21&document_id_select=3

http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/?theme=1&level=3&chapitre_id_select=22&document_id_select=3

I don`t think the mileage itself motivates any extra points to check, just make sure the car is well maintained and all the services are done properly. il leaks from engine/transmission are always quite pricey to take care of. The rear dampers are worth to check as these are SLS and expensive (if you intend to keep the car original).
I don`t know if I agree on the M3 being cheaper to maintain than M5 3.6 as the engines require the same things when serviced and the 3,6 lacks the notoriously expensive EDC system. The m3 has its own problems with Vanos etc that are expensive. The 3,6 is quite a bullet-proof package that resists wear very well.

:wroom:
Sakke

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one step closer.

ive got everything together and it looks like Ill be flying down to TX next thursday and driving her home! Ill update when i get the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts