BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 has 50,509 miles on it and I just replaced the two air filters. I've peeked in the boxes before (and cleaned out the mouse nest), but this is the first time the OEM filters have been replaced.

I used Mahle brand as replacements--has anyone else used this brand before and how did they perform?

How bad did your original filters look? My were pretty crusty, but not as bad as my M Coupes' look (which I track). I did vacuum out the boxes (and the mouse ...um...leavings) and then washed them with a damp sponge.

And finally, after changing the air fllters, did anyone notice an increase in performance? I will accept butt-o-meter results, too. :haha:

Thanks so much!
Anita

·
Registered
977 Posts
Anita said:
My '02 has 50,509 miles on it and I just replaced the two air filters. I've peeked in the boxes before (and cleaned out the mouse nest), but this is the first time the OEM filters have been replaced.

I used Mahle brand as replacements--has anyone else used this brand before and how did they perform?

How bad did your original filters look? My were pretty crusty, but not as bad as my M Coupes' look (which I track). I did vacuum out the boxes (and the mouse ...um...leavings) and then washed them with a damp sponge.

And finally, after changing the air fllters, did anyone notice an increase in performance? I will accept butt-o-meter results, too. :haha:

Thanks so much!
Anita
My OEM filters have about 7000 miles since last change, and they are completely shot. I have a feeling they were shot at 5000. Very black and loaded with crap. I'm in FL, where it gets very dry and dusty at times, so that doesn't help. No way would I suggest going 10-12k miles on a single set of filters in this environment. I'm swapping in a new set this weekend.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just swapped mine out. Previous owner left them on there for a while, because when I dropped the old air filter on the ground, a dust cloud came out that extended proably 6-7 feet.

The car is much more responsive now, now that I've loaded in new air filters.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I only use the Mahle filters and changing them depends how much dirt has been sucked into them(Alot of construction here).
Yes there is a butt-o-meter feeling to a new one.:M5rev:
Plus watching the gas gauge move slower in the traffic is a good feeling.
I've used alot of those oil/air filter types, but a good paper filter can truely out flow them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's funny, I just changed mine last night to the Mahles (sp?). My old ones were the K&N's and they were filthy! One would have to assume that the Cold Air Intake position at the bottom of the air dam has some deleterious effects? Anybody want to buy the K&N's to clean and use? Cheeeep! :hihihi:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I thought OEM BMW paper air filters were manufactured by Mahle &
OEM BMW oil filter element was manufactured by Hengst?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Lscman said:
I thought OEM BMW paper air filters were manufactured by Mahle &
OEM BMW oil filter element was manufactured by Hengst?
I think you're right! The old OEM filters have the same #stamped on them, LX 422 and the same Mahle logo along with a BMW roundel. Let me look and see if the replacement ones are exactly the same. The replacements cost $12.77 each from getcoolparts.com. How much are the BMW branded ones?

Anita

OK, I'm back from the garage check and the Mahle filter looks just the same--the labeling is a bit different--no BMW roundel or part # for example, but both have the Mahle logo and part#.

Now stoner, how much for your K&N's??:haha:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Anita said:
I think you're right! The old OEM filters have the same #stamped on them, LX 422 and the same Mahle logo along with a BMW roundel. Let me look and see if the replacement ones are exactly the same. The replacements cost $12.77 each from getcoolparts.com. How much are the BMW branded ones?

Anita

OK, I'm back from the garage check and the Mahle filter looks just the same--the labeling is a bit different--no BMW roundel or part # for example, but both have the Mahle logo and part#.

Now stoner, how much for your K&N's??:haha:
I thought BMW OEM filters were made by Mann? if not, Mann makes excellent filters as well. I just ordered filters from Pacific BMW and I think I paid $10/ea.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
HDClown said:
I thought BMW OEM filters were made by Mann? if not, Mann makes excellent filters as well. I just ordered filters from Pacific BMW and I think I paid $10/ea.
I recently changed mine, but that was part of Inspection II and I attribute most of the butt-ometer feel to the new spark plugs.

As far as the filter goes, according to BMW both Mahle and Mann are OEM and can be used interchangeably.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the info people!!

I know what you mean about the air filters affecting gas mileage. I've seen a very basic example of that with the filter in my mower. If it gets very clogged, my gas usuage can almost double--yikes!

This was one of my favorite type of car "fixes" too--a super easy one ;)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
So the mileage goes up on the mower?:hihi: (I know what you mean)
I keep a eye on the tip of the muffler, plus inspection.
Hey wait a minute, how does your husband get you to mow?

Mahle and Mann filters are what I found from the dealer long ago.
Now I can get them just under $10 ea.
I get a better deal when I grab oil filters and extra air filters.
After all these years of owning the BMW I think I have now matched the price of the K&N filters price, now I'm working on the price of the cleaner/oil.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6spd said:
So the mileage goes up on the mower?:hihi: (I know what you mean)
I keep a eye on the tip of the muffler, plus inspection.
Hey wait a minute, how does your husband get you to mow?

Mahle and Mann filters are what I found from the dealer long ago.
Now I can get them just under $10 ea.
I get a better deal when I grab oil filters and extra air filters.
After all these years of owning the BMW I think I have now matched the price of the K&N filters price, now I'm working on the price of the cleaner/oil.
Hey you people are getting way better fllter prices then I am! And here I thought I was a pretty darn good bargain hunter :biggrin:

And, yeah, I do all the outside stuff ( I do pay my kid to mow the backyard the past few years)-snow blow, shovel, mow, weed, garden--heck I was just out whacking down some big old tree limbs. I won't tell you all what else I do--it will help minimize you teasing me about it :1:

Anita

1 - 12 of 12 Posts