BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals, I'm going to move to Long Beach in a few months and have a few questions.

1. My current 02 M5 is sitting on the sideline with a blown engine/cracked block/at least 1 trashed connecting rod. I'm not getting it fixed and am planning on pulling parts if needed, but overall selling it in the next few months.
2. I'm going to be buying another 02 M5 this weekend and find out if I need to take a few parts off the old beast!
2. My current car had a Shark Injector installed on it, but when I was reading up last night, I heard that you can only put it on one vehicle. Is that still true?
3. I also read where Shark Injectors don't jibe with CA emissions and wanted to know if that was true?
4. Do any of you guys in CA have the delimiter taken off and what did you do to still pass emissions?
5. I've heard where CA gas is lower octane, so what is the common octane you can find in various places around the state?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
571 Posts
California premium generally is 91 octane. Right now, premium is in the $4.00 range....WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA!!!!! Get use to paying a lot more for gas!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yea 91 octane and 4 bucks a gallon.. we pay more for less!
I think I've seen 93 octane at a pump ONCE

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
92 Octane filled up this morning $3.75

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Guys and gals, I'm going to move to Long Beach in a few months and have a few questions.

1. My current 02 M5 is sitting on the sideline with a blown engine/cracked block/at least 1 trashed connecting rod. I'm not getting it fixed and am planning on pulling parts if needed, but overall selling it in the next few months.
2. I'm going to be buying another 02 M5 this weekend and find out if I need to take a few parts off the old beast!
2. My current car had a Shark Injector installed on it, but when I was reading up last night, I heard that you can only put it on one vehicle. Is that still true?
3. I also read where Shark Injectors don't jibe with CA emissions and wanted to know if that was true?
4. Do any of you guys in CA have the delimiter taken off and what did you do to still pass emissions?
5. I've heard where CA gas is lower octane, so what is the common octane you can find in various places around the state?

Thanks for the advice!
1. Keep us updated on the parts, id like to see whats for sale
2. I would think that is the case because then one person would buy it and just sell it or give it to other people.
3. never heard that
5. 91 octane. Have fun paying 70$$ for a fill up!!
Welcome to the golden state, the best of them all:cheers:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Filled the bike tonight for a late night ride- Chevron's at $4.12 !!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Cant answer your question about the Shark Injector, but will tell you my experiences with smogging. In a nutshell, depending on who you use, the Software will have a tendency to "lean" the full mixture slightly. In doing so, the car of course runs better, yet the Nox levels tend to elevate because of it.

California is stringent on their smog tests, but can be passed. My recommendation is to keep it simple if you can, leave it stock until you get here, smog it, then add software and mods. In that case, you wont have to worry about it again for 2 years. :)

Here is a copy of the Federal Drive Cycle that has been supplied in the past. We are allowed 1 code deficiency during testing, so if you have the God-For-Saken "aa" code (Secondary air pump) and that is your only code, you should be ok. There are some manufacturers software that resolves that issue however. :)

The F.D.C. procedure is really only needed if you have recently had ECU work done prior to testing, or your battery disconnected.

Good luck

Steve

Attachments

Reactions: josiahg52

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
91 Octane is the highest common fuel you'll see. I passed smog no problem with a Powerchips flash on my 2000.

·
Registered
252 Posts
91 Octane is the highest common fuel you'll see. I passed smog no problem with a Powerchips flash on my 2000.
Same here (although I did just have a new Cat installed under warranty).

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
OP-

Most tunes/flashes/etc are OK with Smog, under the "Dont Ask, dont tell- they cant figure it out" theory.

California has 91 octane as the highest generally available. (I do use 100 in the other car, and the M5 on occasion, and have a network of pumps that I know of throughout northern CA that I can use. I just mention it, but 91 is fine.)

A

1 - 14 of 14 Posts