BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am about to start working on my 1991 M5. I want to get all of the fluids replaced and the basic mechanical work done before I start driving it. The Engine was gone through about 2k miles ago by a reputable BMW guy here in TX. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the recommended motor oil or best motor oil to run in these cars?
2. What brake pads do you guys recommend for "driving around town?"
3. Where can I get a door lock actuator assembly for the passenger door?

Well, that's a start. I am sure there will be many more questions to follow. Thanks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi there cowboy,

First attempt to answer your questions:
1) I use Castrol RS 10w 60 (To all the others besides rsbair: DO NOT reply, I repeat DO NOT reply on this particular subject:):):)
2) Normal day to day use, use OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
3) At the stealers or from any other E34 5 serie on the junkyard:) see pic

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HJ91&mospid=47399

·
Registered
494 Posts
All,

I am about to start working on my 1991 M5. I want to get all of the fluids replaced and the basic mechanical work done before I start driving it. The Engine was gone through about 2k miles ago by a reputable BMW guy here in TX. My questions are as follows:

1. What is the recommended motor oil or best motor oil to run in these cars?
2. What brake pads do you guys recommend for "driving around town?"
3. Where can I get a door lock actuator assembly for the passenger door?

Well, that's a start. I am sure there will be many more questions to follow. Thanks.
1. Recommended in manual is 15w40 or 15w50. Dealership guy told me to use regular oil instead of synthetic. I opted for 10w40 Mobil 1 full synthetic because it was easy to find.
2. I bought OE replacement rotors and pads from pelican parts. Balo rotors, Jurid pads.
3. A junkyard is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
1. I use Motul 15-50 (As recommended by Darjac Racing) now, have used Magnatec 10-40 (recommended by Tony of Munich Legends), and I've used 10-60 (As a general recommendation). Apart from the fact that 10-60 seemed more resistant to burning off (particularly at the Ring) it seems you pays your money you takes your choice, as long as you change it every 3000 miles I can't see that there is a huge practical difference on a car used on the street with the occasional track day thrown in.
2. OEM pads work just fine but currently I'm using a compound specified and supplied by Darjac which do seem superior particularly on track days. After my 2nd Ring trip I did about 20 laps and the OEM pads were glazed, haven't tried the Darjac pads at the Ring.
3. Junkyard is a good place to start but German ebay is also a good place to look.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts