BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. In June my parents purchased for me an M5, and it has been great thus far. However, there seems to be a problem i've been experiencing. Every so often, the DSC light along with the ABS light come on, and the steering becomes very stiff. I contacted my friend, who is a technician for a local BMW dealership, said that he saw the same thing on a late 90's 7 series. He said that the problem with that car was the steering box was contaminated hmmm . Anyone else experience this problem? Anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks again. Oh, and heres a few pics i took of my car at a Central Jersey GTG. Thanks ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
dbox said:
how old are you? you got some cool *** parents...
Ditto...but good for you! Congrats on the car!

As for the steering, I haven't head of anything like that happening. You should definately bring that car in if it's under warranty, or even if it's not.

BTW, what year is your car? It looks like an 01 and up.

Regards,

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 18, turning 19 in december. The car is a 2002. And yes, my parents are pretty cool! My first car was a 2003 330ci, and later i bought an e36 m3 with an AA stage 1 turbo kit on my own. After my dad took out the M3 for a "Spirited Drive" he decided that it wasnt that safe of a car, so he told me that if i sold both cars, he'll pay for the M5, thinking that it was slower, since it was a 4 dr sedan;) . I havnt done any mods yet, just tweekd the sound system with 2 JL 12w6v2's and a JL 1000 watt clas d mono amp. I am planning on many more mods, but im holding out in the case that there could be something major with my car, since the dsc and abs light come on every once in a while. :sad3:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
you sure it's not the dsc kicking in?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nahh. this thing happened when i was standing at a light and again when i was driving on the parkway. I tried shutting it off and turning it back on a few times, hoping it woudl reset. It only resets when the car is off for a period of 30 min or greater.

One more thing, does anyone know the brake sizes for the front and rear rotors I think its something like 345mm and 325mm, but im not sure? My check brake lining light is coming on and the left front rotor is preatty worn... Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tommy, Nice example - the sterling grey looks really good.

It's obviously still under warranty so no fears - BMW will have to put this right.

JB
PS wish I had parents like yours :)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard :byee55amg

·
Registered
191 Posts
EvilTommy,
Nice car I love the color! I hope you find out what is causing that annoying problem. I would difinitely take it to the dealer to find out what is going on.
BTW, you do have cool parents, mine were cool too when I was gowing up but
unfortunately the only thing they could afford to give me was love and the occasional spanking. :crying: More power to you and good luck with the M5 it's such a great car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tommy. What's the mileage on the new ride? I believe the DSC uses the anitlock system to control traction at each wheel. Since these two systems are related and both lights are comeing on at the same time you probably have some electrical booger that needs attention. Most likely a module or something. I don't know how these are related to the steering but if that problem only shows up when the DSC & ABS light are on I'd rule out contamination. If the box was contaminated the steering would be affected most all the time and worse when cold.
You may want to wait before doing any mods untill your dad takes the car out for one of his 'spirited' test drives. He may yank it like he did the M3. Sounds like he knows his stuff so he's got to know you're in one of the safest cars out there. Good luck.
JB

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The car had 48k miles on it, and now its at 56k. Will warranty still cover it since its past 50k? And there are some pixels that are missing on my display cluster, is this fixable without having to put in a new cluster? Anyway, here are some more pics of my current ride, and my former rides (2003 330ci and 95 stg 2 turbo m3)

My friends 325ci ^^^

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm Jealous. I am 17, can't afford an m5. My parents, (I should say parent, I still say parents out of habit even after my dad died) don't have the money to buy me an M5. My mom has a 1990 525 that she loves. Since I make eight dollars an hour where I work an M is out of the question. Solution=Streetbike!
Congrats on the great cars. Try to stay out of trouble with them, I know I seem to have a hard time with that on my bike. :haha2:

J

·
0 Posts
i thought i was the only spoiled brat on the board. i got mine at 18 and am 19 now as well. it's been my dream car since i was in 6th grade and i already have it! what next????????? probably nothing. i've driven ferrari's, mercedes, bentley's, you name it.......i would still take the m5. i honestly think that it is the perfect car. i'll never get rid of mine. :M5launch:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi JonnyBoy.

I Haven't had the opportunity of owning a Ferrari or Bentley... but it's nice to here someone so young :2: favouring an M5 over them :thumbsup:

Cheers
JB
PS Yes it does stand for JohnieBoy :M5thumbs:
JonnyBoyM5 said:
i thought i was the only spoiled brat on the board. i got mine at 18 and am 19 now as well. it's been my dream car since i was in 6th grade and i already have it! what next????????? probably nothing. i've driven ferrari's, mercedes, bentley's, you name it.......i would still take the m5. i honestly think that it is the perfect car. i'll never get rid of mine. :M5launch:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts