BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents: After looking at many pictures and putting much thought into aftermarket rims, I think I've decided on SSR GT3s. Given the number of people on the board who have these, I would appreciate a little feedback before I make the plunge:

1. There was thread a while back about cracked rims. Is this something that's happened more than once or just an isolated incident?

2. I'm thinking of getting 8.5X19 fronts and 10X19 rears and I have completely stock suspension on my car. So which tire brand and what sizes? I've seen a SO3's are popular with people here for this setup but how do they compare to other tires like Michelin pilot sports?

3. Should go with 245's or 255's in the front? What about 275's vs 285's in the rear? Will there be a problem with tire rubbing and the need for rolling the fenders?

Thanks in advance,
Hugh

B

·
0 Posts
hughallen99 said:
Ladies and Gents: After looking at many pictures and putting much thought into aftermarket rims, I think I've decided on SSR GT3s. Given the number of people on the board who have these, I would appreciate a little feedback before I make the plunge:

1. There was thread a while back about cracked rims. Is this something that's happened more than once or just an isolated incident?

2. I'm thinking of getting 8.5X19 fronts and 10X19 rears and I have completely stock suspension on my car. So which tire brand and what sizes? I've seen a SO3's are popular with people here for this setup but how do they compare to other tires like Michelin pilot sports?

3. Should go with 245's or 255's in the front? What about 275's vs 285's in the rear? Will there be a problem with tire rubbing and the need for rolling the fenders?

Thanks in advance,
Hugh
Just for your information, SSR filed for bankruptcy in Japan about a month ago. I believe that there is some agreement in place whereby The Tire Rack is still selling their wheels.

Also, some have complained that the wheels are damage-prone.

Overall, IMO they are one of the best looking wheels for the e39, so I completely understand why you are interested in them.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BeastPower said:
Overall, IMO they are one of the best looking wheels for the e39, so I completely understand why you are interested in them.

Cheers, Daniel.
Hi Daniel,

That's exactly why I want them but the other issues are what made me consult the board first.

Thanks,
Hugh

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm with you on this one Hugh. I've been thinking about the SSR GT3's the next time I replace tires, but that string gave me cause for concern. I would be interested in hearing what experience others have had, both good and bad.

Does the tirerack have any comment on this? What is the warranty?

Dennis

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sjdennis said:
I'm with you on this one Hugh. I've been thinking about the SSR GT3's the next time I replace tires, but that string gave me cause for concern. I would be interested in hearing what experience others have had, both good and bad.

Does the tirerack have any comment on this? What is the warranty?

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

I called Tirerack and spoke to someone about this today. He said that he is not aware of any major problems with the GT3's being damage-prone. He also said that the company did file for bankruptcy but is being taken over by another wheel maker and SSR rims will still be continued to be manafactured and sold (at least through Tirerack). I forgot to ask about warranty so don't have an answer for you there. I'm leaning towards getting them because I felt better after talking to the guy at Tirerack. It would still be nice hear from folks who've had these wheels for a while to hear what their take is.

Hugh

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks Hugh, that is good info. I suspect the tirerack might not be completely forthcoming with information on any problems with the wheels since they are selling them. It is good to know that someone will be backing the warranty, but I would get more information on the company buying SSR before making the plunge.

Good luck Hugh!

hughallen99 said:
Hi Dennis,

I called Tirerack and spoke to someone about this today. He said that he is not aware of any major problems with the GT3's being damage-prone. He also said that the company did file for bankruptcy but is being taken over by another wheel maker and SSR rims will still be continued to be manafactured and sold (at least through Tirerack). I forgot to ask about warranty so don't have an answer for you there. I'm leaning towards getting them because I felt better after talking to the guy at Tirerack. It would still be nice hear from folks who've had these wheels for a while to hear what their take is.

Hugh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts