BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, has any of you tried putting in race seats in your M5? a few questions:

I removed my stock seat, and notice a tensioning wire attach tot he seat bottom intot he floor, what is that?

I noticed that oncd the seat is removed, the steering column controls to teloscope the wheel stops working, why? is there a way to keep that working?

who makes seat botom adaptors? I got a pair of reacro Pole Positions, I got the side mount and the sliders, but obviously the hole on the floor don't line up, how do I fit them into the car?

Thanks guys!

if you want to sent me emails directly, I can be reached at [email protected]

B

·
0 Posts
MAD KAO said:
Hi guys, has any of you tried putting in race seats in your M5? a few questions:

I removed my stock seat, and notice a tensioning wire attach tot he seat bottom intot he floor, what is that?

I noticed that once the seat is removed, the steering column controls to teloscope the wheel stops working, why? is there a way to keep that working?

who makes seat botom adaptors? I got a pair of reacro Pole Positions, I got the side mount and the sliders, but obviously the hole on the floor don't line up, how do I fit them into the car?

Thanks guys!

if you want to sent me emails directly, I can be reached at mei[email protected]
You have just encountered a pretty annoying problem that will require one of 2 things:

1) Remove certain modules and wiring harnesses from the stock seats and incorporate them into the new seats and/or car wiring.
2) Purchase these items new from BMW and incorporate into the wiring of the car.

You should see that both the steering wheel telescoping and tilt movements are no longer possible, and that your airbag light is on, i.e. your airbag system has been deactivated. The airbags get deactivated because the passeneger seat incorporates a pressure sensor which is most likely not part of your new seat. If it is part of your new seat, then you may have trouble matching the resistance to that of the OEM passenger seat.

I still have thes above problems with the Recaros that are in my M5. I haven't had time to deal with it, but my next stop is Recaro for some help.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I gather that they are fixed shell seats? Yes? If so you are getting into a safety area you may not want to get into. I am not trying to disuade you from doing it but you need to understand the safety implications of running a fixed shell seat.

The seating systems designed for street cars are just that, a system. They work in conjunction with the seat belts and the air bags. When you install a fixed seat it is best to use a 5-6 point harness as the stock seat belt was not designed to work with a fixed shell seat. Now if you use harnesses you will now nead a roll bar. A harness will not allow any movement in a roll over and your head will take most of the load when the roof caves in. You will also have a side airbag issue as well.

In my race car and my dedicated track car I have all of the above: fixed seat (carbon kevlar), harness, roll bar/cage. This is the safety system.

So remember that you need to change the entire system for it to be safe.

If they are not a fixed shell one piece seat you will not have as much to deal with.

Jordan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts