BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I can appreciate that, but still the information must come from a source. I would like to know what that source is. I have already e-mailed BmW germany in the hopes that they will be able to provide this information.

Cheers,
Rob
That is the factory parts catalogue, a copy of which is available on REALOEM. Bear in mind that REALOEM has limited functionality though as it does not include the search and cross reference search of parts, parts usage per model and listing of superceeded parts. These functions ara available in the genuine BMW parts catalogue.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My information comes from various 'sources', but mainly down to trial and error over the 8 years I ran an e34 M5.

For example, I'd put my VIN number into the parts database and order the part based on that.

The part would come and I'd take the old one off to see that the number was different to that on the new part. Not a problem, as parts are regularly superseded and numbers changed. However, the new part will not fit (e.g. bolt holes in the wrong place). Back to the BMW parts department and they confirm I have the right part, but are willing to check the old number. The old number claims to be from an e28, but there's a little note stating it was used for a couple of months on the e34 too.

I doubt BMW are going to give you an exact list of everything that's changed, and you'll either have to ask specific questions on here relating to specific components, or wait until something fails and then get the part number.

However, the parts are 'normally' superseded by a better part (although sometimes it's cost-saving decision such as the metal to plastic impeller change in the water pump), and a later car will have most of the 'upgrades'. This does not mean the later car is necessarily less prone to failure, as you'll have 20 years of use/misuse to contend with where an older car might have been better maintained.

As a quick list, here's some items I found different between the early 3.6, later 3.6, early 3.8 and late 3.8 (and probably lots of others I've forgotten):
  • Alternator
  • Air-con compressor
  • Cooling & heating system (water pump, thermostat, etc.)
  • Ignition system
  • Exhaust system
  • Clutch & flywheel
  • Seats/interior trim
  • Brakes
  • Wheels
  • Suspension
Great, that is really good to know. It's really a blessing that we can use all of that experience.

What I find intersting is that from what I have heard so far the earlier model e34s do not seem to be less desireable than the later models, at least in the HD91 category.

I used to own an e39 M5 and for that car a 2001 or 2002 is defintely more valuable than a 1999 and 2000 due to the changes that were applied.

It was way more clear cut, doesn't seem to be the case for e34s.

Rob

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That is the factory parts catalogue, a copy of which is available on REALOEM. Bear in mind that REALOEM has limited functionality though as it does not include the search and cross reference search of parts, parts usage per model and listing of superceeded parts. These functions ara available in the genuine BMW parts catalogue.
Thanks for the tip , i will certainly take a look at that.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts