BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and didnt find the info I needed. What weight / viscosity do you use for tranny and rear diff. as well as quantity for both. Any help would be appreciated.( oil used and amount for both) Thanks Jim

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Did a search and didnt find the info I needed. What weight / viscosity do you use for tranny and rear diff. as well as quantity for both. Any help would be appreciated.( oil used and amount for both) Thanks Jim
I don't use Redline, but I'm going to answer your question anyway as best I can :)

1. Differential Weight: 75W140, Tranny: Not sure. RP is Synchromax, but that doesn't help much, does it :)
2. 2 quarts each.

d-

ps. As a side note, search for "Redline transmission". That should bring up more information than you ever want to read, including several documented concerns that Redline and our transmissions are not compatible. Whether that has ever been definitively proven I do not know since I use RP.
EDIT: Apparently there is no proven concern with Redline and the BMW transmission (unlike the Supra tranny).

·
Registered
715 Posts
As staed - Diff is 75W 140 and takes 1.6 litres

Gearbox takes 1.75 litres. Viscosity escapes me.

·
10,456 Posts
ps. As a side note, search for "Redline transmission". That should bring up more information than you ever want to read, including several documented concerns that Redline and our transmissions are not compatible. Whether that has ever been definitively proven I do not know since I use RP.
it has since been proven that our getrag gearbox has some significant differences compared to the toyota supra getrag gearbox, so redline should be fine. I've run it in my gearbox and diff for >50k miles without issues. I changer it every 25k miles or so.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I use the Redline MTL in all my cars, on the m5 the MT-90 is closer to the stock gearbox fluid(viscosity) but the MTL is much better in the cold weather so I leave it in there all year round
I race my car occasionaly and I never grind a gear even when speedshifting
and like everyone else said 75w-140 for the rear diff

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess more specifically What is the name on bottle like the MT-90 for tranny or D4 synthetic for. I want to make sure I have ordered the right thing and the quantity for both.. Thanks for answering...:blabla:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Shill account for CNS Racing
435 Posts
I know an E39 M5 owner that has recently had his transmission blow up and he was using Redline oil. No proof that it was the oil just an FYI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
red line oil

I wanted to change my trans and dif to red line but was told by the service manager that it would void my warranty . Has anyone had issues with red line oils in M6 smg or dif ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wanted to change my trans and dif to red line but was told by the service manager that it would void my warranty . Has anyone had issues with red line oils in M6 smg or dif ?
I think you may have a better chance of getting an appropriate answer by posting in the M6 forum.

I've used Redline in the differential of my e39 M5...

and Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax in the manual gear box.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I know an E39 M5 owner that has recently had his transmission blow up and he was using Redline oil. No proof that it was the oil just an FYI.
That's odd. Most trannys that blow up are using BMW OEM oil. :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, and using OE oil, the original fill that never got changed nor topped up, and in a tranny w/leaking seals. That will do it every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts