BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Context:

As I mentioned before I was first in queue at my BMW UK dealer after the demo. The dealer offered the demo to another customer who picked it up in May. Dealer when challenged replied my car was already spec'd up so couldnt change it.

So I was promised my car in mid June but delayed to early July and if the rumours of the 'oil pump delays by 4-5 weeks prove true' then my car will not arrive until August. Problem is I planned to take some vacation around the arrival of my new M5 in early July and now have no car [sold my CSL last month]. :grrrr:

Possible actions I am considering:

1) wait and see - the car could still turn up in early July for pickup by me :wroom:

2) cancel order - and switch to buy a low mileage Porsche 997 CS. Lots around and probably make sense as car after M5 is a 997 GT3 on order for 2006 delivery.

3) wait for M5 in August, change all my holiday plans and costs. Makes me madgrrrrrrr


I have experienced such fiascos with BMW GB before with late delivery of CSL, wrong cup tyres fitted and delay of my BMW E46 M3 in 2001 plus associated problems. I love the M cars but the management or mismanagement by BMW GB and pretty sneaky [unethical] bumping me of the M5 position to another customer makes me feel to trade up to Porsche now.

Any thoughts appreciated before I talk to dealer next week.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
I feel for you- I would do option 4- find another method of transport (I can sense your disappointment that your family cannot drive the vacation in the new M5). How about renting a car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I like Jerry empathise with your situation and agree with his suggestion, if you are committed to holiday, renting a car is good option, rather than purchasing the fill in Porsche, it is not the GT3.

Regarding the M5, you have made the mental choice to purchase after the test, stay with it, no matter what the dealer has done the car will not disappoint when it arrives. You will probably be disappointed with whatever else you buy as an interim measure and be always asking youself should I have waited for the M5, worse still cursing yourself for cancelling and having to wait even longer when you realize you made the wrong choice to cancel.

If this happened to me here I would write to BMW Australia whom appoint our dealer network, if you have proof of your position on dealer or GB list then I would write to BMW GB - going into print sometimes has better result, if you have not already done so - complain profusely and insist some action be taken against dealer, after all the dealers are representatives for BMW themselves.

I would push for some sort of concession from the dealer & BMW GB for the totally unethical behaviour, if nothing else you should get an apology from them and maybe they will feel more obliged to take better care of you from now on.

Good luck with it all.

Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
360hp, Know how you feel as I was expecting to pick mine up on 19th May until dealer decided to run a demo and so mine was put back until middle August. If this is delayed then will seriously reconsider my options
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
If money is no object wait for the M5 and hire something in the interim, If money is a major consideration....just think of the plummet in value of an M5 compared to a 997.....perhaps lease a 997 for 1 yr till the gt3 shows up.

DD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I am going to sell my E39 - it may take a few days or even a few weeks to make way for the new car. If I get the car sold before the E60 arrives I'll just rent a car for a little. No way I'm going to pass up on the E60 & I recommend you do the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Doctor Diesel said:
If money is no object wait for the M5 and hire something in the interim, If money is a major consideration....just think of the plummet in value of an M5 compared to a 997.....perhaps lease a 997 for 1 yr till the gt3 shows up.

DD
In the long term yes, but in the short term definitely not - you can pick up a 997 for less than list from any dealer let alone the discount you would get from buying a nearly new from a private seller. M5's will be going over list for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I don't know how it is in UK but in France, you might ask your dealer to give you a car for free until the arrival of your car.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top