BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Just acquired a 1991 M5. Trying to put new wheels/tires on, as the aftermarket setup currently running is less than ideal.

I've looked into the style 21 System-II turbines, but have fallen in love with the style 37. Previous threads and the M registry note that you can run E38 style 37 wheels as a staggered package (8 front, 9 rear), but there is a question on what tire size to run on that staggered setup that wont rub.

I've found some E38 Style 37 wheels that I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on; the person I'd be buying from suggested doing "8 all around and out 10mm spacer in back", but given the discussion on the thread above, I question that conclusion.

So, could someone point me in the right direction? 8s all the way around (245/40ZR18 tires on all?), or 8 front, 9 rear staggered, and if so what tire size(s)?

If I've missed any threads where there is an obvious answer, my apologies—first time poster. Just trying not to make a $2k mistake!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Lots of threads/ info on this subject.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I read through all of them (including that one)—as a first-time poster, however, the site prohibited me from hyperlinking to those threads.

I've decided to run either E38 M 37s with 235/40/18 in the front and 265/35/18 rear, or dive in on the OE E34 M5 package Turner has put together (still need to call and see if it's even available).

The OE E34 M5 Style 37s are just way, way more expensive—not sure if they make a material difference to ride quality.

Anyone have a perspective on E38 Style 37 versus OE E34 M5 Style 37 in terms of ride quality, or some other variable I'm not yet considering?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts