BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been a long time owner of a 2001 E39 M5, but due to a pending work transfer overseas am looking to sell it. Looking at car listings across the web, the range on pricing of E39 M5s is all over the place. If possible, I would really appreciate some pointers or rough estimates by individuals here who are familiar with the E39 M5 market right now.

The specifications of my M5 are as follows:
-2001 model year
-Titanium Silver over Black Luxury leather interior
-30K miles (this has been a garage queen for most of its life)
-The car is in immaculate condition both interior and exterior with all electronics etc fully working
-This M5 was involved in a fender bender about five years ago and had its rear bumper replaced along with the painting to blend it

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help and info. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been a long time owner of a 2001 E39 M5, but due to a pending work transfer overseas am looking to sell it. Looking at car listings across the web, the range on pricing of E39 M5s is all over the place. If possible, I would really appreciate some pointers or rough estimates by individuals here who are familiar with the E39 M5 market right now.

The specifications of my M5 are as follows:
-2001 model year
-Titanium Silver over Black Luxury leather interior
-30K miles (this has been a garage queen for most of its life)
-The car is in immaculate condition both interior and exterior with all electronics etc fully working
-This M5 was involved in a fender bender about five years ago and had its rear bumper replaced along with the painting to blend it

Thanks a bunch in advance for any help and info. I really appreciate it.
I will start off for you.

Even with a minor blemish (rear bumper), I would say $35k-38k due to miles and good color choice. If you are willing to wait a while, you might top $40k.

Let's see what others say.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: jl373

·
Registered
824 Posts
Here you go:
2002 BMW M5 Manual Sedan for sale at Enthusiast Auto

Personally, if probability serves me correctly, an early 2000's BMW is most certainly going to be Titanium Silver more often than not. That's probably most M enthusiast's least favorite color due to being most common. Additionally, people seem to prefer 2 tone sport seats, so to someone looking for color combination, silver on black luxury seats is about as standard as it gets. I wouldn't say it hurts value, but it's not going to attract the picky buyer - see alpine white/cinnamon or fox red for e46/e92 m3's.

A bumper isn't going to be a big deal.

I just ripped my luxury seats and door cards out for Black/Gray sport seats. I kind of miss the extended leather-ness, but much prefer the seats.

If you are looking to be reasonable and not hunt for top dollar, probably somewhere between $25 and $30 is a quick sale, but you could be selling yourself short (people aren't going to pay EA prices anywhere but at EA).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just ripped my luxury seats and door cards out for Black/Gray sport seats. I kind of miss the extended leather-ness, but much prefer the seats.

If you are looking to be reasonable and not hunt for top dollar, probably somewhere between $25 and $30 is a quick sale, but you could be selling yourself short (people aren't going to pay EA prices anywhere but at EA).
Can I ask how much you paid for sport seats? Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just got my 2001 in march, same mileage but with the black/red sport interior. I too have a very common color (carbon black), and the car was in a similar fender bender but came with full a service history since new. Seller wanted 35 and I paid just over 30.

If you can wait for the right buyer you might get 35, all depends on how quickly you want to sell it.

Can you not ship it to where you are going? Hope you dont catch a case of sellers remorse.

Good luck with the sale, sounds like a great example!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
What sort of maintenance has been done on the vehicle as far as normal wear/tear items are concerned? A 13 year old car is still a 13 year old car, and various pieces age out as they sit for that time. With that said, 30k on the engine engine is a huge selling point ... Best of luck!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Can you not ship it to where you are going?

With 30k miles in 13 years, I dare say he would be shipping it to an overseas garage queen location!

:cool2:

OP- if you are going to sell it, get it up on the web and wait for the right buyer. EAG will likely PM you within a few days with an offer. You can always get more than they offer. IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys, Thanks a lot for the informative responses and info. I'm accepting a transfer to Asia so shipping it there doesn't really make any sense given the costs, effort, and how congested the cities over there are. It's not the sort of place where having a M5 makes sense, IMO. That having been said, I'll always be a huge fan of the E39 M5 (classiest car ever, IMO) so I would like to see my M5 go to an enthusiast who will appreciate it. With regards to where to list it up for sale, do you guys have any suggestions other than the For Sale forum here on M5Board? Are there any other specialty forums that it would make sense for me to have it up on? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
854 Posts
High 20s to low 30s just because it is an 01 not 02 or 03. Yes it has the facelift not updated vanos

·
Registered
854 Posts
Oh and the board is your best bet as people know what these are worth. You can also try CL, autotrader, etc just to reach more potential buyers

·
Registered
554 Posts
I bought my 03 LMB/Caramel @ 16.5k miles a year and a half ago for $30k, but that wasn't exactly on the open market. EAG would have probably sold it for $60k lol. I actually did get a serious offer for $40k about 6 months ago. Probably had about 22k on the odometer at the time.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Additionally, people seem to prefer 2 tone sport seats
I would just like to note that while I agree with most of your post, I disagree with this. I think there are just as many seeking the extended leather interior (since it adds a lot of leather and thus a lot of luxury) as there are looking for the two-tone seats. I personally do not feel the two-tone seats look proper in a luxury sedan, in my Z3 they look great. The M5 to me deserves something more classy, the "Heritage" full leather interior and seats are just what the M5 needs IMHO. The extended leather interiors also routinely fetch more money than the standard sports/two tone interiors.

Personally I'm a little shocked anyone would rip out the extended leather seats in lieu of the standard seats.... sort of a downgrade IMHO but to each their own!

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
High 20s to low 30s just because it is an 01 not 02 or 03. Yes it has the facelift not updated vanos
It may have the updated vanos. It depends upon the production month. I know, for example, that 9/00 forward has the updated vanos because my car is a 9/00 and has the updated vanos. I think the last month for the old vanos is 7/00.

Oh, and IMHO, car is worth 27-28k if it is in perfect condition. EAG will put it up for sale for $40k and eventually get something close to that. Please don't sell to EAG.

--Peter

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
9/00 forward has the updated vanos because my car is a 9/00 and has the updated vanos. I think the last month for the old vanos is 7/00.

--Peter
Since the factory closes in August, that means the change is effective for the '01 MY, with September '00 being the first month of production.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Since the factory closes in August, that means the change is effective for the '01 MY, with September '00 being the first month of production.

Regards,
Jerry
From inspecting the parts catalog ages ago, I recall the updated VANOS went into production as of 12/2000.

Just checked realoem, and it still shows 12/2000 onward as the updated VANOS system.

Long ago I pointed this out to Eric at EAG on a forum where he posted that all 2001 model year cars had the old system, so he didn't buy them. He never replied to me pointing out that the majority of 2001 model year production actually has the updated VANOS; i.e. 12/2000 through 07/2001.

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
7,542 Posts

Regards,
Jerry
From inspecting the parts catalog ages ago, I recall the updated VANOS went into production as of 12/2000.

Just checked realoem, and it still shows 12/2000 onward as the updated VANOS system.

Long ago I pointed this out to Eric at EAG on a forum where he posted that all 2001 model year cars had the old system, so he didn't buy them. He never replied to me pointing out that the majority of 2001 model year production actually has the updated VANOS; i.e. 12/2000 through 07/2001, making all S62s produced from 12/2000 through the end of M5 production identical.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts

Long ago I pointed this out to Eric at EAG on a forum where he posted that all 2001 model year cars had the old system, so he didn't buy them. He never replied to me pointing out that the majority of 2001 model year production actually has the updated VANOS; i.e. 12/2000 through 07/2001, making all S62s produced from 12/2000 through the end of M5 production identical.
Interesting. I have the four grub screws on my vanos covers, so I know I have the updated vanos. My car only had the harness for the updated pressure canister, however. So maybe that is what Real OEM is showing. Rings were updated in 7/00.

--Peter

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Interesting. I have the four grub screws on my vanos covers, so I know I have the updated vanos. My car only had the harness for the updated pressure canister, however. So maybe that is what Real OEM is showing. Rings were updated in 7/00.

--Peter
I actually don't know the specific details of what/when interim updates might have been made...no clue. If you put in a production date 12/2000 or later, one set of VANOS diagrams opens up and the other (for earlier dates) shows not applicable. For all the parts on that screen, it just shows 12/2000 onward.:dunno:

·
Registered
544 Posts

--Peter
I have a 7/00 model and I believe I have the updated Vanos, so I think you are correct Peter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts