BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Here's my situation, I have a 2000 model 540i and when you choose the particular OBC setting, i.e. time, destination to empty, timer, etc.... it will stay on the one you've chosen, even after you shut off the engine and re-start the motor hours/days later, it will show the exact feature you previously elected to be seen on the OBC screen, located in the lower center are of the dash board.
Now......... what I've described doesn't happen with my 2003 model M5 car. When I start the engine the OBC sceen is always off or blank being that there is nothing displayed on the OBC screen. I have to push the OBC button located on the left hand stalk and choose which setting I wish to be displayed. When I shut off the car and turn the car back on, the OBC screen always defaults to the off or blank setting and it doesn't show what I chose the last time I set up the OBC, and so I have to do it every time I wish to operate the OBC. Is there a way to make it so I don't have to go through the non-sense of clicking the OBC setting button every time I start the engine and scrolling to the feature I wish to be displayed, only to lose it when I shut off the car. Im not asking about the delete feature of getting rid of unwanted display features. I know about this and how to do it. I want to know how do I keep the OBC setting in place and not lose it when the car is shut off and turned back on.
Thanks guys!
:confused2

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
There was a software upgrade that broke this feature. I don't think you can backgrade the code. I actually think that this was done intentionally to cut down on future claims for the pixel burn out issue, because most people will just leave it off until they need it. I believe this code version was introduced to all vehicles somewhere in 2002 model year.

Likewise, on my 2001 X5, it remembered the last display, until they fixed an issue. Then it stopped and they couldn't get it back for me. Also, the steeering wheel used to tilt up and in when the key was removed, and reposiiton when the key was inserted. The motors kept breaking, so BMW issued a fix for all X5s being repaired to stop the wheel from moving as much, thereby saving on future replacement motors. BMW can't seem to figure out exactly the best course of action, so they just stop features instead of correcting the problem.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
No one seems to know the answer to this question. My 2002 530's OBC settings always stayed on the last setting when the car was started, and my 2002 M5's (like yours) do not. However, my 530 did not have NAV; I don't know if this makes a difference.

I also heard about a software update causing this, but Ard wrote that his 2003 M5 retains the OBC settings. It seems like in some cars the OBC retains the settings and others it does not.

One thing is clear to my from my earlier research on this issue: the dealers (at least mine) don't have a clue.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin, That's interesting because my wife's (2000 model)540i has the NAV system, as does the M5 car but the 540i always retains the last setting remembering the OBC feature you wish to display. Not my M5. I have to trigger it on all the time and then scroll to when I want it to be. What a pain in the ................... You know. :mad:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
KevinM said:
No one seems to know the answer to this question. My 2002 530's OBC settings always stayed on the last setting when the car was started, and my 2002 M5's (like yours) do not. However, my 530 did not have NAV; I don't know if this makes a difference.

I also heard about a software update causing this, but Ard wrote that his 2003 M5 retains the OBC settings.
Ard - are you serious? Didn't you also get your display replaced? Maybe that had something to do with it. I don't remember.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
I had this when I first got my 2001 M5 too. When I fiddled around with the settings via the "PROG" feature (hold down the button on the left stalk) it disactivated the OBC coming on when starting the car. I tried to bring it back without luck. But however when I upgraded to the newer Mark IV nav system, the OBC came back on. I'm not about to mess around with the "PROG" setting again now.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
KevinM said:
I don't think NAV makes a difference. My 2001 X5 didn't have NAV and then they "fixed" a problem, causing the loss of the last display readout on startup.

BTW, the steering wheel used to telescope in and tilt up on my X5 when shutting the car off. The 2002 M5 always just tilts up. BMW changed this feature on the X5 to only telescope up when exiting about the same time as the display change (I was told by my dealer the telescope feature was disabled to reduce the motor replacments of the adjusters). I assumed this was correct since my 2002 M5 never telescoped in when exiting the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there!

Same thing happened on my E39 M5 just a day ago. Before when I ignited the car OBC showed last item shown, now it is blank. I think it has to do something with navigation! Since this started to happen after I changed my MK2 for MK3!

FAST 5 said:
Hi Guys,
Here's my situation, I have a 2000 model 540i and when you choose the particular OBC setting, i.e. time, destination to empty, timer, etc.... it will stay on the one you've chosen, even after you shut off the engine and re-start the motor hours/days later, it will show the exact feature you previously elected to be seen on the OBC screen, located in the lower center are of the dash board.
Now......... what I've described doesn't happen with my 2003 model M5 car. When I start the engine the OBC sceen is always off or blank being that there is nothing displayed on the OBC screen. I have to push the OBC button located on the left hand stalk and choose which setting I wish to be displayed. When I shut off the car and turn the car back on, the OBC screen always defaults to the off or blank setting and it doesn't show what I chose the last time I set up the OBC, and so I have to do it every time I wish to operate the OBC. Is there a way to make it so I don't have to go through the non-sense of clicking the OBC setting button every time I start the engine and scrolling to the feature I wish to be displayed, only to lose it when I shut off the car. Im not asking about the delete feature of getting rid of unwanted display features. I know about this and how to do it. I want to know how do I keep the OBC setting in place and not lose it when the car is shut off and turned back on.
Thanks guys!
:confused2

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep, I had the same thing about a month ago on my M5 after upgrading from MkII to MKIII (the MKIII was from eBay and came preinstalled with the latest software).

Frankly, it's annoying but then, I count my blessings in that I don't have all of that legal "Accept" stuff ...

Love to hear a solution but I've trawled here before on this and there isn't one! I guess the first one to come with a definitive fix will be classified a "hero" and receive plenty of adulation... :15:

Regards,

Gary.

alien2108 said:
Hey there!

Same thing happened on my E39 M5 just a day ago. Before when I ignited the car OBC showed last item shown, now it is blank. I think it has to do something with navigation! Since this started to happen after I changed my MK2 for MK3!

·
Registered
2 Posts
AFAIK this can be fixed by your BMW dealer. Since exchange navi unit I got (ant probably you too) was programmed in new car which has new generation radio. So when you use it with old gen. radio (year<=2000) you loose INFO/SELECT key but you gain mach more....SPLIT SCREEN :flag:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts