BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you hit the 'Sport' mode on the E39 M5, it appears to quicken up the throttle response. I understand that the sterring is supposed to get quicker as well, but I can't really tell. Does the sport mode have any affect on the shock? They don't appear to have any electronics going on............Thanks.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
No sport mod does not effect the suspension or the shocks. The steering wheel should actually feel heavier in sport mode. Hope this helps:typing:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Prior to replacing my pump, the steering was heavy in sport. Now, the steering is not heavy on my car. I checked another car and it too did not feel heavy. I don't think it's supposed to be heavy, it just gets more responsive. I'm still investigating this.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The sport button quickens throttle response and firms up the steering. It's not stiff or any quicker ratio but is at least nicely weighted. I'm not sure if there is any more road feel. There is no change to the suspension.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.............It looks like the Sport Mode is just a parlor trick. I like the quicker throttle response....I too, don't notice any real change in the steering. I think that they could have done some electronic bits with the suspension to make it a true "Sport" mode............but maybe they have on the E60.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ingenere said:
Thanks.............It looks like the Sport Mode is just a parlor trick.
Well aside from the parlor trick, it will improve drivability when the beast is cold and doesn't want to run right the first few blocks/miles. :7:
If you think it doesn't do anything push the Sport Mode while holding steady pressure on the accelerator with a cold engine...your beast should leap forward as the programming changes. :flag:

Ken

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
jordantii said:
Steering gets heavier not quicker......

Jordan
Does any know HOW the steering is affected? Is it something in the ECU communicating to the steering pump to back off assist? If we can find that, then the possiblity exists to defeat it for those who like sport throttle but not sport steering.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kwalls said:
Well aside from the parlor trick, it will improve drivability when the beast is cold and doesn't want to run right the first few blocks/miles. :7:
If you think it doesn't do anything push the Sport Mode while holding steady pressure on the accelerator with a cold engine...your beast should leap forward as the programming changes. :flag:

Ken
Ken:

I do notice that the car pushes a bit harder. In my car I can notice the change whether or not the engine is cold. I guess I am saying that most other cars that I have driven that have a 'Sport' mode there is alot more going on than on the M5....throttle response, stiffer shocks, flatter cornering, etc...

·
Registered
142 Posts
kwalls said:

Ken
I first noticed that on my buddies M3, he hit the sport and there was a quick burst of speed. So later that day, I tried it on my beast, but didn't feel that sudden burst of fuel. :( I haven't tried since...gotta go for a drive in it soon.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
swingkat420 said:
I first noticed that on my buddies M3, he hit the sport and there was a quick burst of speed. So later that day, I tried it on my beast, but didn't feel that sudden burst of fuel. :( I haven't tried since...gotta go for a drive in it soon.
Since experiencing the sport burst earlier in my ownership, I have learned now to push the button cautiously. I will also state, I don’t remember checking to see any difference with the engine at normal operating temperatures. For the most part this phenomena is only experience in the spring / fall / winter when I craw out of the garage heading for the autobahn.

Ken

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I notice the throttle effect warm or cold. It is most noticeable at light throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear. IE turn onto an on-ramp in 2nd or 3rd. At light throttle (1/2 inch of travel) and 2500 rpm's press the sport button. The car should surge forward and accelerate somewhat quicker then it had been. It's as if you instantly pushed the throttle an inch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
gsfent said:
Does any know HOW the steering is affected? Is it something in the ECU communicating to the steering pump to back off assist? If we can find that, then the possiblity exists to defeat it for those who like sport throttle but not sport steering.
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry:

I believe the power assist is reduced to the steering box, thus making the steering "feel" heavier. :confused: Do a search, and you should find tons of info.

Eric

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Richard in NC said:
I notice the throttle effect warm or cold. It is most noticeable at light throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear. IE turn onto an on-ramp in 2nd or 3rd. At light throttle (1/2 inch of travel) and 2500 rpm's press the sport button. The car should surge forward and accelerate somewhat quicker then it had been. It's as if you instantly pushed the throttle an inch.
Yes, hit button, hold on! :flag:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
s62fan said:
Jerry:

I believe the power assist is reduced to the steering box, thus making the steering "feel" heavier. :confused: Do a search, and you should find tons of info.

Eric
Thx. After doing the UD pullies, I find the difference minimal, so even when I run in sport mode, the steering feels about right.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts